What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera connection kit to usb portable drive

kopmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a camera connection kit for my ipad2. I would like to use it to connect to an external USB hard disk to backup all my images that i shoot from my camera. As I usually shoot in raw format, it may run out of space soon in the CF card. So I would to be able to transfer to my portable hard disk using iPad 2. Is that possible?

I've check with local Apple reseller but they claimed that the camera connection kit is not able to allow me to perform those functions, is it true?

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a camera connection kit for my ipad2. I would like to use it to connect to an external USB hard disk to backup all my images that i shoot from my camera. As I usually shoot in raw format, it may run out of space soon in the CF card. So I would to be able to transfer to my portable hard disk using iPad 2. Is that possible?

I've check with local Apple reseller but they claimed that the camera connection kit is not able to allow me to perform those functions, is it true?

What I have found about using the Connection Kit. first the USB device It will not allow me to read files on a USB device it says draws to much power if I try using a memory card that has not been formatted in my digital camera, and has pictures taken with this camera. It will do nothinhg same if you just put a picture on the card it will say no pictures found.
The USB connection device is to connect the camera to the iPad this it will do and will allow the transfer to the files you wish to transfer.
Now the memory card device If there are picture files taken with your digital camera, after the card has been formatted with the camera you will be allowed to transfer them to the your iPad.
So assume you will not be able to use the connection kit to transfer files from your external HD.
Apple does IMHO a very poor job of informing people just what their connection kit will or will not do for people.

OP
K

kopmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and advice. Guess I still need to rely on my laptop for backup of images if I'm going for tour.

Most reactions