What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update iOS

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, what's difference between iPad direct update or via PC iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's easier to perform the update in Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad. Updating that way will need more storage space on your iDevice than the size of the update itself. As soon as the update has been installed, the storage space that isn't needed will be freed up again. An OTA (over the air) update will be installed "on top of" the existing software.

The update via iTunes works different. iTunes will remove the "old" software from your device, and install a fresh, new version. This will also need less space on your iPad than the other kind of update. So if there's not enough storage space for an update OTA on your device, use iTunes to get it up to date.

While an update OTA can be the reason for some glitches afterwards, an update via iTunes mostly won't be followed by problems with the iPad. That's also the reason why we recommend restoring/updating via iTunes, when an update OTA went wrong.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tks JA as easy way I update it thro device now suppose I want bring back my device to 7 iOS then I will update via iTunes can it possible or leave it. If I possible then please give me some cue for step by step no problem send any link as I am [emoji480]newbie for iTunes updates

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not possible to revert to a software version before 8.3. You can either stay there, or update to iOS 8.4.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tks JA as easy way I update it thro device now suppose I want bring back my device to 7 iOS then I will update via iTunes can it possible or leave it. If I possible then please give me some cue for step by step no problem send any link as I am [emoji480]newbie for iTunes updates

Regardless of the method you upgrade your iPad, the only version you can revert back to would be the previous version, but only for a limited time. So for example in your case if you upgraded to 8.4 then later decided to go back to an earlier version, you would only be able to downgrade to 8.3. That is as long as Apple is still signing the previous version of iOS. Once Apple stops signing the previous version, you wouldn't be able to downgrade at all.

This is all because of the security model that Apple uses for iOS devices. It uses several bit of info one of which is your devices serial number, then generates a signing key. Without this special signing key you won't be able to install any version of iOS on your device. This also prevent;s you from trying to bypass these security measures by copying iOS from another device as it's tied to that device with it's serial number.

It's all covered in this white paper published by Apple:

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Though honestly once you upgrade, I seriously doubt that you'd want to go back...

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tks I done by my device its seem good

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One question arise in mind suppose I reset my device then it's start with begin version.

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No factory resort my meaning

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No factory resort my meaning

If you do a factory restore of your iPad it will not restore the iOS version to an earlier version of iOS. You'll stay with the current iOS version or will be upgraded as part of the restore process if you weren't already on the current iOS version. For example, if your iPad was on iOS 8.3 and you did a factory restore, your iPad would end up on iOS 8.4 after the restore was completed.

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ooh I see tks scifan.[emoji106]

OP
jaba123

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, friends new updates released few days back did its good for iPad for or I Waite more.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was a small update, there haven't been problems since it was released.

Most reactions

Latest posts