What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud Caution when updating to iOS 8

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
About iCloud Drive... From what I can tell, some of the apps still need to be updated so that their default folders are actually displayed in iCloud Drive (either on www.icloud.com or on Windows file system when using iCloud Control Panel).

Namely, there are some apps that I've now enabled for iCloud (such as Notability and MobiSystems' OfficeSuite) which don't display their respective folders on www.icloud.com or on Windows file system. Yet, they are there -- they work normally with iCloud Drive, and I've noticed them when picking the iCloud folder to use with some other app.

Not sure if it's Apple's bug or some legitimate developers' option that the folders are not shown in those two places, though (although then they probably shouldn't even be shown in the location picker dialog box of some other apps). I guess iCloud Drive looks more like a "proof of concept" at this moment, and still has a long way to go to reach Dropbox or OneDrive. :) And... they should add Safari's stuff (bookmarks, open tabs...) somewhere as well.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are some differences between iCloud and iCloud Drive. Basically iCloud Drive only replaces the Documents & Data portion of iCloud. The other syncing services like Calendars, Contacts, and Safari are not affected. iCloud is not going away. It's just being supplemented by new features.

iCloud Drive will act a lot more like the more traditional cloud services that store folders and files; but mostly just between your apps.

There is another new feature called File Provider, that will let you use your cloud service of choice in almost the same way.

We haven't seen most of this yet, so it's hard to comment on how it works, or how well it works.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know the Drive just makes the Documents & Data portion of iCloud visible... well, apparently, not yet for all apps, and we have yet to see what happens with those.
And Safari (which is still "invisible" at this point) should be the 12th icon (so you could manage it there as well)... there's one free space in the bottom row at www.icloud.com. :D
Yep, I was hoping to see File Provider feature in the latest Pages update already, so I could choose Dropbox... ;)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not expecting to see those until OS X Yosemite comes out; probably the later part of October. Most of the handoff and continuity features have to wait on this as well.

It's kind of annoying, but Apple only had two choices. Give us some of it, and some confusion, now, or wait on everything until Yosemite; or even longer.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think "give them some of it" has been a paradigm long enough in this business... it wouldn't surprise me if Tim kept Steve's notebook of ideas and plans in a safe somewhere, and only turning a few of them into reality every season.

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud will work as before.

I updated my mini, no problems. The iPad 2 and 3 also received the update, and both devices were released earlier than the mini.

Thanks, thats good to know. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 & can't afford to replace either at present.
Also have a MacBook, so won't be updating to IOS 8 until Yosemite is out.

I'm a little dubious about Yosemite - when I updated to Mavericks, my less-than-1-year-old wifi printer suddenly wasn't wifi anymore - finally got it working again, but it's more difficult than before. The scanner portion won't do wifi at all & can only be accessed through the printer info on systems on the MacBook.
My old Airport (which was old) was hanging in there until Mavericks made it completely inoperable. I'm a bit daunted about what else will become obsolete when Yosemite hits - Apple have developed a bad habit of forcing obsolescence with each new update.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not to mention it is still in beta.

I have upgraded to iCloud Drive, the only devices I have is a laptop and and iPad, so I guess I'm on the safe side here. Honestly it ain't a dropbox killer, once Apple finishes it off I may use it instead of Dropbox. One thing it doesn't have is the ability to open or access files on your iOS device, you have to use the iCloud website or download the iCloud control panel for Windows PC. I'm not sure if it automatically downloads all your photos in photo stream or photos app, anyone care to answer this?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got a caution about Icloud Drive from the developer Readdle (Printer Pro, Google Calendar, Scanner Pro, Documents, etc) in an email so I chose Not Now when setting up all our devices. I'm a big user of Dropbox so I'll be interested to see how it functions when its ready.

I mostly upload from an SD card to my Ipad and upload the same SD to my PC so I only used Photostream to transfer photos from my Iphone 5S to the Ipad but I was happy to see that after shooting with the 5S the photos moved quickly to 'recently added' album on the Ipad as soon as I was within wifi range again,

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazingly, the iCloud Drive has completed upgrading, whether that is a bad thing or good, I don't know given the warnings. Hopefully, all will work out in time :)
I have other back up systems in place especially for my PC running that infernal Windows 8.1 so we will wait and see.
Roll on the next upgrade but I do feel that my iPad 3 is becoming obsolete soon. That said I will have no qualms in purchasing an up to date iPad when the time comes.
OK if you can afford to buy a new one, but having an iPad 2 does all I need well (or did until I foolishly updated to 8) this all smacks a bit of planned obsolescence

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to mention it is still in beta.

I have upgraded to iCloud Drive, the only devices I have is a laptop and and iPad, so I guess I'm on the safe side here. Honestly it ain't a dropbox killer, once Apple finishes it off I may use it instead of Dropbox. One thing it doesn't have is the ability to open or access files on your iOS device, you have to use the iCloud website or download the iCloud control panel for Windows PC. I'm not sure if it automatically downloads all your photos in photo stream or photos app, anyone care to answer this?
OK if you can afford to upgrade..I have been very happy with my ipad2 which gives me all I need (until I foolishly upgraded to 8 which has spoiled it for me) this all smacks a bit of 'planned obsolescence' if you ask me.

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the repeat reply...slow response on my ipad2 to blame!,

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad 2 and have not updated yet. I haven't decided if I wanted to yet, just because it's an older device. However, I have now heard from you and another that their iPad 2s were fine with the update. So, I may just take the plunge. Thanks JA! :)
DON'T DO IT...MY iPAD EXPERIENCE SUCKS SINCE I DID.

Dogsandroses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My update has been a disaster! Ipad 2 , two years old. No video no desktop icons. All the usual fixes have done nothing.

Most reactions