What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7.0.2

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 7.0.2 finally is released but with not any big difference on iOS.
What I wondered was that if you update it via iTunes the update size is 1.38GB and OTA is only 21.1MB. So I guess the update via iTunes downloades the whole iOS while OTA downloads only the improvements. Am I right? Which update should we use to have a better iOS?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 7.0.2 finally is released but with not any big difference on iOS.
What I wondered was that if you update it via iTunes the update size is 1.38GB and OTA is only 21.1MB. So I guess the update via iTunes downloades the whole iOS while OTA downloads only the improvements. Am I right? Which update should we use to have a better iOS?

You are correct - the one you'd use with iTunes is the full iOS 7 while the one for OTA is only the incremental change/improvements.

Apple says that OTA is just as good as the full version from iTunes.

All I know is that I will continue to use iTunes to make any upgrades. I just feel more comfortable that way. Of course and as always - YMMV.

Marilyn

P.S. I've also been heavily influenced by the jail breaking community. We found out, back during iOS 5 days, that it's best to use full installs of an iOS via iTunes. It's too complicated to explain (and I don't have the full understanding even now), but as someone who jail breaks, it's best to stay with iTunes and the full version, just to be on the "safe" (for jail breaking) side.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Data point: I used the OTA incremental update. No problems so far, no difference at all to me since I couldn't get the lockscreen hack to work before, and I don't use a Greek keyboard. None of the other bugs were fixed, not surprising since I'm sure the security hole was the highest priority. Bugs I've submitted over the past week have not even been prioritized yet.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
TheSagittarius

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are correct - the one you'd use with iTunes is the full iOS 7 while the one for OTA is only the incremental change/improvements. Apple says that OTA is just as good as the full version from iTunes. All I know is that I will continue to use iTunes to make any upgrades. I just feel more comfortable that way. Of course and as always - YMMV. Marilyn P.S. I've also been heavily influenced by the jail breaking community. We found out, back during iOS 5 days, that it's best to use full installs of an iOS via iTunes. It's too complicated to explain (and I don't have the full understanding even now), but as someone who jail breaks, it's best to stay with iTunes and the full version, just to be on the "safe" (for jail breaking) side.

OK. Understand! I know why the update via iTunes is better than the OTA one, now. An administrator explained me that, because if you've noticed when you update iOS 6 to iOS 7 OTA is about 900mb while via iTunes is about 1.36GB. It's something about coding and other stuff :).

Thank you for the info! :)

OP
TheSagittarius

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Data point: I used the OTA incremental update. No problems so far, no difference at all to me since I couldn't get the lockscreen hack to work before, and I don't use a Greek keyboard. None of the other bugs were fixed, not surprising since I'm sure the security hole was the highest priority. Bugs I've submitted over the past week have not even been prioritized yet. This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

I read somewhere that a new update will be released soon so that might fix some bugs. By the way, what are your problems? Can I have the link and see if I can help you? :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The s-l-o-w wallpaper selection and bloating are annoying, but no more than a minor inconvenience. The Photos app is seriously broken, though: images tend to snap to the screen edges on their shorter dimension, instead of properly on the longer dimension. If the image is exactly 4:3, there is no problem, but if a landscape image is slightly wider than 4:3 it is cropped on both sides when the iPad is held in landscape mode. This is an issue with images I've scanned from old 35mm slides. I have not found any way to get these photos to display properly.

16:9 movies do the same thing when first opened, though a double-tap will display them properly.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

L

Lunar

Think I'll wait a bit longer until they improve the appearance, and get rid all the white screens everywhere, I read that the dominant white theme on iOS7xx is likely the reason battery life is a little shorter, makes sense I suspose. I was hoping they might have made a few colour changes in the 702. Happy to stick with 6.1.3 for the time being.

Come on Apple give us our colour and smart looking icons back! The issues, like the change background option and photo app which the previous poster mentions is not really a minor issue imo, also daft things like iTunes putting white titles on things like your film and video collection, and then due to the dominant white in the new iOS you can't see them.

When I heard Apple had released a minor update I truly was hoping some of these problems would have been sorted out, :( ah well.. next one perhaps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I already did the OTA, should I now hook up to iTunes on my computer? Will it update it "more?" I know, stupid question, but you never know.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I already did the OTA, should I now hook up to iTunes on my computer? Will it update it "more?" I know, stupid question, but you never know.

No, you'll still have the iPad running on iOS 7.0.2 - it'll be the same software.

Well, according to Apple. I'm still not convinced that the incremental updates done OTA is the same as the full software install done via iTunes. It is my opinion only - but I'd rather do a backup and full restore in iTunes for any OS software changes, even the incremental ones such as iOS 7.0 to iOS 7.0.2.

But no, bottom line is: if you've already got the update on via the OTA method, you're fine and there is no "more" update.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the changes in iOS 7 in general, a lot of the directories are different, and because OTA updated only applies the changes at the bare minimum, it's expected to have issues when updating rather than restoring.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the changes in iOS 7 in general, a lot of the directories are different, and because OTA updated only applies the changes at the bare minimum, it's expected to have issues when updating rather than restoring. Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

I don't think it should be "expected" to have issues, I always update OTA, so far without any problems, however, I'm also always prepared to go back and restore a full and fresh download of iOS should I run into any problems.

The Archangel

Most reactions