What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update fears

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is working wonderfully. Hooks up to wi-fi, all apps run well.

Reading all the stories of iPad's that have been updated "bricking," wi fi problems occuring, deleted apps has me nervous about updating. I live far from a Mac store (3hours) and won't be able to access a genius should shit happen.

Am I worrying for nada or good reasons?

To update or not to update? That's my question.

Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its totally up to you. I updated with zero issues at all whatsoever and I am glad I did. Obviously other people here have had "issues". I suspect that some, not all, are not telling the whole story. Some people may have jailbroken their iPad and left that little detail out and some people here (judging by some of the posts) are just not that "tech-savvy" and may have done something wrong.

I have not seen where this update "bricks" an iPad making it totally unusable. Some may have lost apps or data, but there is usually always a way to restore an iPad to the point where you can start over from scratch if necessary.

Its your iPad. I can't make that decision for you.

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When my iPad arrived the update was already available. I did it anyway and certainly haven't had any problems at all!

thomo45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just posted in OS section. I updated today and generally have no issues apart froma few of my apps that used to work no longer do. Im moping it's just a case that the app developer need to issue an update with regards to firmware comparability.

Paul

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated as well - no problems. While I have all the technical expertise to jailbreak (I actually did once with the 'spirit' jailbreak (I think that's the name)) - when Apple tests software updates and their impacts they test on 'stock' machines with stock OS's. With the exception of the wifi issues - I think the iPad has generally been quite stable and error free. The iPad will run quite well when not jailbroken. Yep - I know there are folks out there with jailbroken machines that have no problems but I find it interesting that in the last several episodes of the iPad Show - the hosts were having some problems with their iPads crashing or freezing up and they were commenting that the jailbreak probably was the culprit.

dirtydan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated both iTunes and iPad last night, when I got to the iPad update it showed I wasn't connected to iTunes,I was connected. I then tried a Restore, no go. I re-booted my PC and tried again, bingo, it did it's thing.
Dan

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that only two ppl had probs, some writer/journalist and some editor for ZDTV, its rare that you will have issues, only thing is if you wanna jb you won't be able to as the update resolves exploits by Spirit..

But I heard If you backup your firmware then you can downgrade.:eek:

Most reactions