What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates over 100 MB via AT&T Unlimited

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently, it's happening for me. Yeah, I get the usual "this update is over 100 MB and won't download until you connect to Wi-Fi" (paraphrasing) warning.

So, I update all the others under 100 MB while on my AT&T Unlimited (I won't let that go until they pry it from my dead, cold fingers). They usually go fairly quickly. Much later on, I notice the app(s) over 100 MB are also eventually updated before I ever get around to switching to Wi-Fi, which is a measly 1 Mbps via DSL. I kind of get the hint when I notice that, after the warning, the status icon stays a circle with the "stop" square in it, instead of reverting to the "update" rectangle button. Sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and find the big update(s) have already been done.

The big app updates take a while, but I suspect still faster than the crappy DSL speed we have here. I'm loving 4G (mind you, it generally averages between 4 and 5 Mbps down-I'm in a tiny rural town) now that it's been here since last Fall. Before, it was 3G and a lot of EDGE. Ugh. Now, I almost never switch to Wi-Fi unless it's absolutely necessary (most recently, the iOS 7 updates). My girlfriend's iPad 2 is 3G capable, but for now solely in Wi-Fi until she decides to start up 3G, which should be soon, as she's now discovering some of the areas she travels to don't have Wi-Fi spots anywhere.

I think this may gave been happening before iOS 7, but I'm not sure. Or it could be a by-product of upping the cap from 50 to 100 MB.

Anyone else notice this?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Most reactions