What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad wi-fi is acting flakey

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I love this site.... great stuff.

When I first got the iPad on April 3rd, I downloaded about 100 apps.... some of the apps would crash quite a bit and I would have to reboot the iPad on a constant basis (once every 1/2 hour or so); but then things seemed to work itself out (updates to the apps, I guess) and I rarely had to reboot after the 1st week. Now recently, my wi-fi has been cutting out and crashing (I haven't experienced this problem until just this week... it worked excellent until just the other day). Here is what happens: I go to an app that requires wi-fi (doesn't matter which one.... Safari, At bat, weather channel, or whatever) - then I will run the app that requires wi-fi. After I'm done with that app, I will go to another app that requires wi-fi - and then the wi-fi will be dead. I then go to my laptop to make sure it isn't the the Belkin - and - the laptop wi-fi is just fine (btw, I have the latest and greatest wi-fi 801.11 N..... as I said, the ipad wi-fi has worked great since April 3rd... no problems until just the other day... so it's NOT the Belkin). Once the iPad wi-fi crashes, I will reboot and then it will run fine.... for at least one app....then it crashes again on the 2nd or 3rd app.

Anyone else having this problem? I've got to wonder if one of the apps I've downloaded recently corrupted the OS system. Any theories? Thanks.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given that there are known wifi issues with the iPad early models, your best bet is to go to your nearest Genious Bar. If there is a conflict with a program, they might be able to ferret it out. If it is a hardware issue, they will give you a replacement.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that it's the hardware. I believe that after I downloaded "at bat" or some other app this week, then the wi-fi started to act goofy. If it was hardware problems, then why does it correct itself after a reboot? Just to experiment, I'm going to "wax" the memory and run the iPad with only the apps that come with the iPad. If the wi-fi holds up, then something must have corrupted the OS system this week.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
High Plains Drifter said:
I'm not so sure that it's the hardware. I believe that after I downloaded "at bat" or some other app this week, then the wi-fi started to act goofy. If it was hardware problems, then why does it correct itself after a reboot? Just to experiment, I'm going to "wax" the memory and run the iPad with only the apps that come with the iPad. If the wi-fi holds up, then something must have corrupted the OS system this week.
That's correct an application can cause it. Once you restore add apps back 5 at a time and test each time. Hopefully you will find the faulty one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Reaction score
One other thing: my wi-fi crashed a moment ago and I went to settings. I then turned the wi-fi off and the on. Bingo! It worked again without booting the iPad. Hmmmmmm...... Any ideas or suggestions on what is going on? I haven't waxed the memory yet......I'm trying other ideas first.

OP
H
Reaction score
I think I fixed it. I took Apple's advice and I "reset" the network. You go into settings and click on reset..... Then click on reset network. Seems to be working like a charm again. I'm guessing that one of the apps screwed with the network settings somehow. Only time will tell. So far, so good.

djpritchard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is off the original topic, but moving apps on and off the iPad is being mentioned. How does one do that? Again, this is my first Apple product, so please bare with my ignorance.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
This is off the original topic, but moving apps on and off the iPad is being mentioned. How does one do that? Again, this is my first Apple product, so please bare with my ignorance.

You can move them off and on from within iTunes. While the iPad is connected, select it and then click on it's "apps" tab. Be sure sync apps is selected and sync all is unchecked, and syncj selected apps is. Then simply unchecked the apps you do not want on the iPad.

You can also delete apps from the iPad itself. Touch and hold an app icon, hold until the icon begins to wiggle. Click the little "x" in the left corner of the icon to delete it. While the icons are in wiggle mode you can also move them around and even move them to other menu pages. When you are done just push the home button (the one physical button on the interface) and you are done.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can move them off and on from within iTunes. While the iPad is connected, select it and then click on it's "apps" tab. Be sure sync apps is selected and sync all is unchecked, and syncj selected apps is. Then simply unchecked the apps you do not want

But carefully - just do that, while you have The iPad connected, otherwise The iPad will "reload" the deleted apps the next Time you connect to to iTunes.

Most reactions