What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to update iPad 2 to 5.1

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im struggling to update my iPad 2 to 5.1 in the UK.

When trying to update Via iTunes I'm getting a constant message "Contacting the iPad software update server..." , and if I try via iCloud I get message "An error occurred while checking for a software update"!

Anyone else experiencing or have experienced these messages? If so, is there a solution?

Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could simply be that the servers are overloaded. Probably a lot of people all trying to update at the same time. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I haven't tried to update to 5.1 yet.

If you try again in 3 or 4 hours most of the Americas will be asleep and you may stand more chance. I'm assuming that all updates are routed to Cupertino, though I'm guessing at that.

Last edited:
OP
@

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could simply be that the servers are overloaded. Probably a lot of people all trying to update at the same time. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I haven't tried to update to 5.1 yet.

Could be, Had the problem last night (U.S prime time), so tried this morning from U.K. with still the same messages!

kamaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
İ had same problem too while using wireless connection. Than switch to copper. Had no problem at all

OP
@

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
İ had same problem too while using wireless connection. Than switch to copper. Had no problem at all

Wireless and wired, still same problem! Do you think a restore is required?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would continue trying to do the update for a while. Doing a restore could lead to more problems, especially if you are backing up to iCloud and already having issues with it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just had a thought. Are you sure you are running the latest iTunes? Could be with updating that first.

OP
@

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I just called my friend who also has an iPad 2 and is based in the U.K. He managed an update at first attempt! Strange. Now, when trying to restore I'm still getting message "Contacting the iPad software update server..."!

HELLLLLP!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just updated my iPhone OTA. It also went through first attempt. Took about 15 minutes. Try rebooting your router and see if that helps. Leave it off for about 10 minutes.

OP
@

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not gonna believe this Kevin, But after i rebooted my router it failed! I have just replaced my router now but still cannot update iPad!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a stab in the dark here but have you turned off your virus protection and/or firewall?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded iPad 1 and 2 OTA without any hiccups.

iPad 2 took about 15 mins to download, install and restart. iPad 1, I just started upgrading, then went to sleep. Woke and it was done.

I'm running iTunes that's at least a generation old, but that had no effect because my laptop was never involved. It wasn't even on.

OP
@

@ndr3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a stab in the dark here but have you turned off your virus protection and/or firewall?

Im Running Mac Lion with firewall off. I do however have sophos running. However, I have never had these problems in the past and I am still able to download music and apps on iTunes!

Most reactions

Latest posts