What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to restore/update Ipad 2 (jailbroken) to IOS 5.1 **ERROR 21**

EmilRonnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im trying to update my Ipad 2 Wifi only to 5.1.
- But i cant.
Itunes gives me the error 21.
And im stuck at the "connect to Itunes" screen...

What can i do to solve this???
I have googled it, but I dont think that its my security programs... But what do i know??? :)
PLease help:thumbs:
Emil

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try and put it in Dfu mode and then do the restore.

sealie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 21

I had the same problem with my iPad 3 (5.1.1) that I was trying to restore from a Jailbreak, I got it out of Recovery mode by using TinyUmbrella.
Still trying to figure out how I'm am going to restore back to Factory, but at least my iPad is working.

Only reason I was trying to reset my iPad was to I can save the SHSH Blob before I re-Jailbreak it.

sealie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im Such a dumbass sometimes, a setting on TinyUmbrella was preventing me from restoring it.
Hope this helps some one else from not repeating my mistake.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only reason I was trying to reset my iPad was to I can save the SHSH Blob before I re-Jailbreak it.

I just want to bring this out so I can emphasize this: You do not have to be jail broken on a certain iOS firmware in order to save the SHSH blobs. In addition, you do not have to be running the iOS firmware on your iPad in order to save blobs for that firmware.

As long as the "signing window" for the firmware is still open (Apple is still authorizing the firmware for installation), then you can save blobs whenever.

The two processes, while vital to the jail breaking world, as completely different from each other.

Just to clarify...

Marilyn

owensky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this same problem many times. If you are on a Mac you need to open terminal Applications>Utilities>Terminal and then type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" enter "killall Finder" without the quotes. Afterward open up your hard drive and find the "etc" folder, find "hosts"drag it onto your desktop, open it up scroll to the bottom and delete the stuff that looks similar to 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. Once you have done that drag the hosts file back into the "etc" folder authenticate and replace and then you should be good to go in iTunes. Let me know if this works.

g0dm0d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this same problem many times. If you are on a Mac you need to open terminal Applications>Utilities>Terminal and then type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" enter "killall Finder" without the quotes. Afterward open up your hard drive and find the "etc" folder, find "hosts"drag it onto your desktop, open it up scroll to the bottom and delete the stuff that looks similar to 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. Once you have done that drag the hosts file back into the "etc" folder authenticate and replace and then you should be good to go in iTunes. Let me know if this works.

I had the same problem with my new iPad. It was on 5.1.1 jailbroken, and I wanted to restore it to stock iOS.
In Restore Mode I got unknown error 21, in DFU mode unknown error 1600.
By removing the line from the hosts file I got it to restore in DFU mode :)

Thank you very much, owensky!!! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts