What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 won't update

karoleigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't seem to get my iPad 2 to update from 5.01 to 5.1. Help! When I go to Setting on the iPad and click on Update, it gives me an error message. I have never had problems in the past with updating.

bmahony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
karoleigh said:
I can't seem to get my iPad 2 to update from 5.01 to 5.1. Help! When I go to Setting on the iPad and click on Update, it gives me an error message. I have never had problems in the past with updating.

Easier to update it through iTunes on a pc

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a choice of internet hotspots, try another one.

If you have not done so recently, a restart might help. Restarting your router might help too.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
karoleigh said:

Been seeing a few of these complaints lately and previous posters here have mentioned some of the known causes and remedies and hopefully your problem has already been solved.

I would add that If I recall correctly (and that is surely a crap shoot) I think I read that a few folks wound up having DNS issues and changed their primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 to get around the problem.

To do this select General/Wi-Fi then select the blue arrow on the connection with the check mark on it. This will open the advanced properties screen (basically the equivalent of an ipconfig command in windows)for the selected connection. From this screen you will see all information associated with the connection including DNS setting. 8.8.8.8 are Google managed public DNS servers. Usually your assigned DNS server is managed/assigned to you by the your ISP. I can only speak from experience regarding Comcast when I say they have been known to have DNS servers with stale or corrupt routing tables.

Good luck hope your issue is resolved.

OP
K

karoleigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I actually did try to update it through iTunes. My computer seemingly downloaded it. The problem is, I have no idea what it did with it, because after it told me it was synced and I disconnected the cable from the laptop to the iPad, I continued to
see the message on the HP laptop that the 5.1 update was available. ????? Strange. Also, the iTunes download did not change
my iPad to the update. It still says 5.01.

As Midranger suggests, I think there is something else I need to try. I had no problem updating from the 5.0 to the 5.01 right on the iPad.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
karoleigh said:
Thank you. I actually did try to update it through iTunes. My computer seemingly downloaded it. The problem is, I have no idea what it did with it, because after it told me it was synced and I disconnected the cable from the laptop to the iPad, I continued to
see the message on the HP laptop that the 5.1 update was available. ????? Strange. Also, the iTunes download did not change
my iPad to the update. It still says 5.01.

As Midranger suggests, I think there is something else I need to try. I had no problem updating from the 5.0 to the 5.01 right on the iPad.

I am unsure but I do not think a sync will bring an iOS upgrade over, it's a separate process you should be prompted to perform when you attach your iPad to your PC and open iTunes.

Are you being prompted to upgrade when you connect to the PC?

There is a setting in iTunes to not prompt so if you are not prompted manually initiate the upgrade process from iTunes directly.

Let us know how you are progressing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your upgrade status is on the Summary page when the iPad is connected and selected in iTunes. It will tell you if your iPad is up-to-date, and give you the option to check for updates.

If there is an update you have the option of downloading, or downloading and upgrading. I recommend the first. Once the upgrade is downloaded the same page will have an option to do the actually upgrade.

If you can do the OTA (over the air) update it is much faster because it is a delta (changes only) update. The iTunes update is always a full firmware update and will take much longer to download (which is why I recommend the download only option.

As always, be sure to do a good backup and copy all important documents off the iPad before an update. Even the best updates have a small percentage of failures.

Most reactions

Latest posts