What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ubuntu on iPad

ProjectiSlate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to pull together a team of people who would like to see Ubuntu on the new iPad. I honestly think that this is VERY possible, mainly because Ubuntu had an OS made for ARM processors, and the apple A-7 Chip is based around this ARM processor. Anybody who is interested in running Ubuntu for ARM Processors on the iPad, Please join this group. Whether you are a hardcore hacker, a noob to computing, or a huge risk taker, we would enjoy having you on our team Project "iSlate" | Facebook

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neat idea, would not mind being able to run alternative OS's on the iPad, but to be honest with Apple's hardware margins cheaper (more open) alternatives might make more sense.

scotty frank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that Ubuntu would be great on the iPad. I love the linux platform.

OP
P

ProjectiSlate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as i Know no, but we will hopefully work that out and make it recognize touch movements

davids

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
It is really great idea but this is a revolutionary idea.

I would like to pull together a team of people who would like to see Ubuntu on the new iPad. I honestly think that this is VERY possible, mainly because Ubuntu had an OS made for ARM processors, and the apple A-7 Chip is based around this ARM processor. Anybody who is interested in running Ubuntu for ARM Processors on the iPad, Please join this group. Whether you are a hardcore hacker, a noob to computing, or a huge risk taker, we would enjoy having you on our team

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You guys are forgetting why Windows always fails when it comes to mobile devices. Its not from lack of people wanting it on the devices. Its because the OS is not ment for Touch.

They have already ported android over to iPhone and iPhone 3G. You would have much better outcome helping them port android over to the iPad.

Dual booting android and iphone OS on the iPad would be sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj0kHQgC9w&feature=player_embedded#at=21

Last edited:

James Goddard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As someone who's been using Ubuntu for years, I'd say run away. Ubuntu has gotten really unstable since Karmic came out.

If you want to put a linux based OS on an iPad, I'd recommend either the obvious: Android, or JolliCloud.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly what I would LOVE to see is someone run Chrome OS as an app. It is so lightweight it could easily be done...of course it would have to be a jailbreak app since apple would never approve it....it could even run in the background and be called up at anytime. I think that would be a much more worthy project. Duel boot is annoying since you have to run one or the other...and with the Chrome Web Store it would be so sweet to be able to just run in on top of iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts