What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two PCs for iPad 2?

NiceFudgey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, it's my first post here! I've been using this site but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem, so I decided to join.
Excited.
Anyway, I have the iPad 2 and it's great, but I want to update to iOS5. Now there's a fault in my laptop and even though my C drive is practically empty, I get the error message of it still being full. So I tried to move my iTunes folder to my D drive but it's so "full" that iTunes can't move it.
I gave up hope and decided to use my mother's laptop SOLELY for the update and no other reason whatsoever. I want to do it without putting any of my music etc on her iTunes account.
Same problem with an iPod touch 4th Gwn btw.
Is it possible?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My suggestion is to create a new user on her computer and install iTunes there (if necessary). In that user and iTunes go into preferences the devices tab, and turn off auto-sync.

Now do your upgrade. It will still do a backup, and there is some chance it will sync your content; but if it does all you have to do is delete the user and user directory on the computer when you are done.

The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x is a major one. All your content will be erased and restored to the iPad in several step with reboots between each one. Doing things the above way (without syncing your content) is pretty much guaranteed erase your apps. You'll probably have to reinstall all your apps manually, then use Restore from Backup from the laptop. Even then, you're likely to lose something.

So, either be prepared and save everything you can off the iPad before:

Or get some hard drive tools and see if you can repair your C: drive before doing the upgrade. That would be best.

OP
N

NiceFudgey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! She has iTunes installed already, for her iPhone 3GS and my Dads iPhone 4. I'm just hoping nothing on her account will be replaced with mine?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as you make a new user logon on the laptop and log onto the computer with that before syncing the iPad, it won't happen. iTunes keeps a separate library on the computer for each Windows user.

OP
N

NiceFudgey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New problem... There's no users option on that laptop. It's a Vaio... Something. Any more ways around it?I really want the update, I've been waiting for it for a long time now.... :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is a Windows laptop, it can have more than one user. Vaio is just a hardware brand.

Try searching a Windows help site for managing users on whatever flavor of Windows the Vaio is running. My one Windows 7 machine is hiding under a pile somewhere, and I can't remember exactly where to find the right control panel.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope you know you can update your ipad's ios from the ipad itself as long as you have wifi

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
cellur111 said:
I hope you know you can update your ipad's ios from the ipad itself as long as you have wifi

Only if you are already on iOS 5.0. I'm pretty sure the OP is updating from 4.x or earlier. At least that is how I read the post; though I could easily be wrong.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why don't you just get anew computer before yhe oneyou are now using totaly dies..it ounds likeit may mey be giving it's last gasps now

OP
N

NiceFudgey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm saving for one, but I need this update now! I'll try the new user on the other laptop, thanks for your help :)

g3n3s3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. New member and fairly new iPad 2 user. Starting with a problem. Cannot upgrade to iTunes 10.5 on my iPad and my understanding is that I need that to get the iOS 5 update. I connected to my computer and could see the update screen behind a message which says my iPad is activated and I can disconnect. Of course I cannot reach the iOS update page unless I click okay. When I do that the update screen goes away and my iPad is no longer recognized by iTunes. Thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts