What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak iPad1 on IOS5 using redsn0w

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To JB 5.0.1 do I need to download the 5.0.1 file or do I use the 5.0 file... I've read both.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your iPad is running iOS 5.0.1, then you'll need the 5.0 IPSW so you can point the redsn0w program at that IPSW to do the jailbreak. You'll also need to point redsn0w at that version every time you reboot.

Your iPad will still show as being on iOS 5.0.1. It's just that redsn0w can't jail break 5.0.1 yet ... hence the need to point to 5.0.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have updated and simplified the tutorial for the latest untethered version of redsn0w. No more "just boot"! YIPPEE! :D

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you need to add some advice to those with a jail broken 4.3.3 that are loaded with Cydia applications already. plus the new problem with iBook.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you need to add some advice to those with a jail broken 4.3.3 that are loaded with Cydia applications already. plus the new problem with iBook.

Please review all our guides, stickies, and current topics. They contain a wealth of information.

There is already a guide related to upgrading a JB - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...des/26399-how-upgrade-your-ios-jailbreak.html

And a tutorial is NOT a place to comment on a temporary bug which is being worked upon. The warning was given here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/58284-5-0-1-untethered-jailbreak-ipad1-released.html

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how about people having a tethered 5.0.1 JB on their iPad (including me myself)? just follow exactly what the guide told or need some additions? thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
how about people having a tethered 5.0.1 JB on their iPad (including me myself)? just follow exactly what the guide told or need some additions? thanks!

You can do several things (I'm assuming you have an iPad1):

(1) Apply the Cydia tweak "corona 5.0.1 untether" as mentioned in post #7 of this post: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/58284-5-0-1-untethered-jailbreak-ipad1-released.html, or

(2) Run the newest redsn0w jailbreak (0.9.10b2) over the top of your current tethered jailbreak (just make SURE you UNcheck/deselect "Install Cydia" in the options), or

(3) Restore a fresh version of iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad and then re-run the redsn0w jailbreak using the steps in this thread

All of this is your call. Obviously, the easiest is step 1 (but you cannot remove that tweak from your iPad, else you'll be back in tethered mode). The next easiest is step 2. The most time-consuming is step 3.

Just be aware that the repo servers are still being hammered pretty good. It may take a bit for Cydia to access/download all the standard repo packages. Just keep trying...

Marilyn

hafatih_27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can do several things (I'm assuming you have an iPad1):

(1) Apply the Cydia tweak "corona 5.0.1 untether" as mentioned in post #7 of this post: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/58284-5-0-1-untethered-jailbreak-ipad1-released.html, or

(2) Run the newest redsn0w jailbreak (0.9.10b2) over the top of your current tethered jailbreak (just make SURE you UNcheck/deselect "Install Cydia" in the options), or

(3) Restore a fresh version of iOS 5.0.1 on your iPad and then re-run the redsn0w jailbreak using the steps in this thread

All of this is your call. Obviously, the easiest is step 1 (but you cannot remove that tweak from your iPad, else you'll be back in tethered mode). The next easiest is step 2. The most time-consuming is step 3.

Just be aware that the repo servers are still being hammered pretty good. It may take a bit for Cydia to access/download all the standard repo packages. Just keep trying...

Marilyn

thanks man! i'll just take the first one. but there is something still in my mind, is it necessary to me to firstly remove 'semitether' i've installed before celebrating this christmas gift?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naw, you don't have to uninstall it first.

But, go ahead and uninstall it after you've successfully done the UNtethered jail break - cause you won't need it any longer.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts