What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to reverse tether iPad to XP - won't work

MagGyver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, fellow iPad users. I've been Googling this issue all morning but so far am coming up blank - perhaps one of you might know how to resolve this?

I'm attempting to connect my WiFi, NON-3G iPad to my XP netbook while I'm on holiday. I have access to Internet here through Ethernet but no WiFi. I have followed instructions to the letter for using my netbook's WiFi capabilities to create an Ad Hoc network, shared my Ethernet connection on XP, and the iPad is able to see the ad hoc network, seems like it joins it, but I still cannot get online with the iPad. I make sure to join the ad hoc network on the XP netbook first, then enter the WEP settings on my iPad, and I get the little wireless connection icon in the upper left corner...but it does not connect.

I checked the status of the WiFi connection on the iPad once it says it's connected and the IP address starts with 169.254.x.x so it appears it's not getting an IP address. I tried sharing DHCP, DNS and HTTP in the ICS settings on the netbook and also alternatively tried manually entering the IP address of the netbook into the iPad's connection settings, but neither of these steps make a difference.

When Googling this, I come across so much information about tethering an iPad to an iPhone that it's next to impossible to parse through for the situation I'm in...and whenever I do find something about trying to do what I'm doing, I follow the instructions to the letter but I'm still coming up with nothing, even following Microsoft's article on how to set up ad hoc networking.

I'm at my wit's end. Does anyone have a solution they can suggest?

Many thanks...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't help you now, but in the future, an Airport Express could work much better for you than an XP Ad Hoc network.

OP
M

MagGyver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matth3w, but I was trying to pack as light as I could for this trip...I will remember that for next time.

Most reactions

Latest posts