What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi...but no internet

Applemark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having MAJOR problems with my Ipad, more specifically its connectivity. The apple support line has been of no use whatsoever so I'm counting on you guys to help me out :) if anyone has had similar problems?

If I can explain the issues maybe you guys can help....

I currently use my 32gb wifi only Ipad by connecting to an ad-hoc network set up on my laptop. I dont have a router as such, just a 3g dongle (which plugs into my usb port) and a wireless card inside my pc. I select 'setup a new ad-hoc network' in the network and sharing centre and then when I turn on Wifi on my Ipad it finds the network and connects with full strength. However when I open safari or anything requiring online content it tells me it is not connected to the internet.

I had this issue when I first got the Ipad, now the support staff at apple told me that 'it wasnt possible' in any case... However I tried a couple more times then it did connect to my wireless network and suddenly would connect to the internet.... I didnt do anything different, it just suddenly worked.

Today for an unexplained reason it has just stopped working. When I access the settings associated with the 'connected' network, the IP address begins 169, which I understand means something is wrong... however I feel a bit stuck because most people connect via a fixed home broadband hub or such and most things i can find refer to those with proper broadband, whereas my wireless signal is coming from the laptop itself (I asssure you it has worked for the past week though).

This is really stressing me out now as it did work, and I dont know what I did. I'm not especially computer/network literate could anyone who has any ideas talk me through it step by step? Just to summarise, Im running windows Vista, creating an ad-hoc network, and connecting via that. The signal is full but the IP starts 169. and subsequently doesnt work. It began to work last week, but I didnt change anything.

Thanks in advance for any help offered :)

OP
A

Applemark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your response. when I have set the ad-hoc network up that is with no encryption, Ie not WEP or WPA.... j

This is doing my head in......

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to work via ICS on my Vista laptop. So I stopped sharing the internet connection, and instead highlighted the two network connections, right clicked, and chose bridge connections.

After the bridge completed, I setup an adhoc connection and voila!

cdurston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad didn't seem to like WPA security, so changed to WEP and it accepted.

margshea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unable to connect to public wifi

Seems like no matter where I go and there's a public unlocked hotspot, I can't connect, get the usual Safari can't connect.....error. I am able to connect to my own network at home, but public places, optimum (which I have at home) and any other, I continue to receive this error. Would really, really like to know what I'm doing wrong or not doing to get my Ipad to connect and not just to use it away from home for downloaded games. Thanking all in advance..:)

Most reactions

Latest posts