What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide iPad2 or not?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Don't know much about the Galaxy tablet, but for the iPad, you can use the app TIOD for free in the app store to connect to any windows shared folders. Assuming that you can connect to the network via wifi, you would not need a USB stick for those PDF files.

If you don't have access to wifi at the office, you will need iTunes on your PC and from there, transfer any file via the USB cable as if your iPad would be the USB stick itself.

I use Pages for documents writing and I like it a lot. I had to convert some documents to Office format and it was not that bad. By the way, PDF and office documents are supported natively by the iPad. When you get on from email, just open it and it will be shown in a view only mode.

There are a lot of apps also available to help you with your tasks. One that I liked was a share point client for any share point server.

VicoPad addict!

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TheX said:
If I had a nickel for everyone one of these threads graced my iPad I would be a millionaire. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

I think it's healthy some day the Green Monster will win! Tech is in a constant mode of movement it's nice to hear what's new . IMO. I ran I to a Sammy GII 10.1 and it is the closest thing to my beloved I2 that I've run across. Till you scroll or flip the screen.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I also use an android phone (I have a highly modified DroidX) and there is no way I would dump that. I find an android phone can do an awful lot of things an iPad can't although they do go well together. If I had to stick with one device only, the android phone would win hands down IMHO.

Like what? I too have a droid, after countless hours of dumb market updates and tweaks I finally have my phone like I want it. I can never get that time back. My next phone will be a iPhone 5

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!

Im a total new when it comes to Android vs Apple. With that being said I picked up my iPhone 4 last weekend and then the iPad 2 last night. Now before I continue any further I would like to also state that I have been a MBP pro user for nearly two years before finally deciding to take a swing at the tablet market. I was really torn between the Xoom and the iPad 2.

Simply put I was left in a jam. As much as I didn't want to be a sheep to follow the crowds and get an iPad I simply couldn't ignore how much I love the iPad 2 after using it for a day. Yes, the android system may eventually catch up to the iOS but being a huge Apple fan, I'm actually happy that Apple finally has some real competition in the market again. I wanted to get this for school in the Fall and also have a new toy to play with for the time being. I did do some research and read that the apps market is lacking in the Android market in terms of tablets!? I am an excessive Apps lover and found this to be the selling point as well as the beautiful design of the iPad.

I hope to see you all around soon rather than later!!

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dlo said:
Hi all!

Im a total new when it comes to Android vs Apple. With that being said I picked up my iPhone 4 last weekend and then the iPad 2 last night. Now before I continue any further I would like to also state that I have been a MBP pro user for nearly two years before finally deciding to take a swing at the tablet market. I was really torn between the Xoom and the iPad 2.

Simply put I was left in a jam. As much as I didn't want to be a sheep to follow the crowds and get an iPad I simply couldn't ignore how much I love the iPad 2 after using it for a day. Yes, the android system may eventually catch up to the iOS but being a huge Apple fan, I'm actually happy that Apple finally has some real competition in the market again. I wanted to get this for school in the Fall and also have a new toy to play with for the time being. I did do some research and read that the apps market is lacking in the Android market in terms of tablets!? I am an excessive Apps lover and found this to be the selling point as well as the beautiful design of the iPad.

I hope to see you all around soon rather than later!!

Welcome dlo. I has leaning hard toward a Galaxy Tab 10.1, but like I said in another post, buying an android tablet with no apps is like buying a nice car with no fuel. Maybe in two years they will catch up, but it's going to take a while.

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jduncan said:
Welcome dlo. I has leaning hard toward a Galaxy Tab 10.1, but like I said in another post, buying an android tablet with no apps is like buying a nice car with no fuel. Maybe in two years they will catch up, but it's going to take a while.

Thanks for the welcome! If I do get an Android Tablet down the road, I have decided to go with the Xoom series if it is still around in a couple of years!

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious what apps are not available for android that people think are necessary in the iPad??

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I'm curious what apps are not available for android that people think are necessary in the iPad??

It's not so much of what Android has and doesn't have, it's more along the lines of them being optimized forna tablet or not. From what I have read, most of the apps you can get are not made for the tablet, but rather for handhelds.

If you have other sources stating otherwise I would be glad to check those out as well!

H

hazi1610

One thing to remember about Android tablets is that none of them give the great battery life that the iPad does. They all say "up to" x amount of hours. Having come from and Android phone, I know all too well how rubbish battery life is. Not one of their tablets will say 10 hours use, it will always say up to and depending on usage. With iPad, you are pretty much guaranteed the full ten hours.

That was one of the main selling points for me, I didn't want a tablet that I had to charge just in case it ran out halfway through the day.

Apps, as somebody has said, there are plenty of apps but very few are optimised for the tablets.

I tried just about every tablet available in the shops before I finally decided on the iPad 2. The Android ones were nice but all had something lacking and many of them didn't seem to work properly, a couple had died and wouldn't even power on, screens weren't smooth, they were kind of jerky. Every store that had the iPad, not one of them was glitchy, every iPad I looked at worked exactly as it was meant to.

During my search, I was really against Apple, didn't want to become part of the hysteria (that was how I saw it at the time) and refused point blank to even consider the iPad.

Right at the last minute, something clicked inside my head and I decided iPad 2 and am so glad I never went for Android now.

The other thing to remember is customer support. Apple is second to none in that department. Where do you go if an Android tablet goes wrong? Back to the shop where yo bought it where often they don't replace after 30 days of purchase or refund and they send your product away which can take weeks. Apple, you just go to the store and they are there with a replacement straight away.

Of course, some stores will be excellent in the exchange, refund area but places like Comet, PC World and Curry's will only replace or refund within a specified period, usually around 30 days.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this an essay, just that I have seen both sides and had experience of after sales service (or lack of) from those stores with other products.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:

It's not so much of what Android has and doesn't have, it's more along the lines of them being optimized forna tablet or not. From what I have read, most of the apps you can get are not made for the tablet, but rather for handhelds.

If you have other sources stating otherwise I would be glad to check those out as well!

This is very true and it's a big problem for Android right now. Right now tablets run "Honeycomb" as their OS and Android phones run "Gingerbread" as theirs. This is more difficult for developers as opposed to Apple where the iPad and iPhone are both running iOS.

This will all change with the next big release of the Android OS, aka "Ice Cream Sandwich" which will be optimized for both Android Phones and Tablets.

Late this year or early next year is when things are really going to heat up. By then the Android Tablet manufacturers will have gotten all the kinks worked out, and the developers will have had more time (and less difficulty) getting Android tablet apps on the market to consumers.

But by then the iPad3 will be rolling out upping the ante again :)

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other thing to remember is customer support. Apple is second to none in that department. Where do you go if an Android tablet goes wrong? Back to the shop where yo bought it where often they don't replace after 30 days of purchase or refund and they send your product away which can take weeks. Apple, you just go to the store and they are there with a replacement straight away.

Of course, some stores will be excellent in the exchange, refund area but places like Comet, PC World and Curry's will only replace or refund within a specified period, usually around 30 days.

I really have to disagree here. I've dealt with Apple's customer service twice so far and the experience hasn't been great. My first iPad was defective when I called Apple they said I would have to send it to them and then wait 3+ weeks (the shipping estimate at that time) to get a replacement. Total BS. I went to Best Buy and they swapped it out no questions asked. Exactly the same thing an android user would have to do. IMO, Black Tie Protection > Apple Care by a huge margin.

I also got billed for an app I didn't buy. I spent hours on the phone getting the run around. Department A told me I had to talk to Department B. And guess who Department B told me I had to talk to. I never managed to get my money back.

Maybe I just got very unlucky, maybe it's better at an actual Apple Store. While they are certainly better than, say, Sprint; calling their support second to none is absurd. I once bought a tent from Cabelas, it was missing one small piece that wasn't that critical. I got the part the day after (sent next day air) talking to them along with a hand written letter of apology from store manager and a $50 gift card. That is customer service that is second to none. Apple's is above average at best.

H

hazi1610

RedCoil said:
Maybe I just got very unlucky, maybe it's better at an actual Apple Store. While they are certainly better than, say, Sprint; calling their support second to none is absurd. I once bought a tent from Cabelas, it was missing one small piece that wasn't that critical. I got the part the day after (sent next day air) talking to them along with a hand written letter of apology from store manager and a $50 gift card. That is customer service that is second to none. Apple's is above average at best.

From what I have heard from other forum members, or rather read on the forums, Apple seem to bend over backwards to help. My own experience at the Apple Store was a good one and better than anywhere else.

I still stand by their customer care being second to none, although there will be a handful of people who haven't quite had the experience that most have.

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
I still stand by their customer care being second to none, although there will be a handful of people who haven't quite had the experience that most have.

Sorry Alison, rereading my post I realize it was perhaps worded a bit harsher than necessary. I didn't mean it as an attack on you or your opinion, just my disagreement with your conclusion. Appologies.

Most reactions

Latest posts