What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe this is another big plus for the Ipad being able to have relatively easy access to Internet when traveling. Not sure if the makers though of this.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i ran into this problem before when working on a traveling crew where we did not know where we where going to be the next week or sometimes the next day .. what i learned to do was use the office address as my main address and used in areas that said i had to have a physcial address..

RobertHodgson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Used a Canadian American Express

we just got back from the US and I had no issues using a Canadian American Express Card to activate my Ipad
All I did was use the local ATT@T corps stores address for Billing and Usage info and My name and Amex # the the system took about 2 minutes to activate the account.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we just got back from the US and I had no issues using a Canadian American Express Card to activate my Ipad
All I did was use the local ATT@T corps stores address for Billing and Usage info and My name and Amex # the the system took about 2 minutes to activate the account.

I was looking for the Canadian American express card online but haven't seen it. I see American express, AMEX. Am I missing something?
Resist please:D

RobertHodgson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Canadian issued version of Amex IE Canadian Billing address

Last edited:

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is good to know. I'm going down next week, I have a U.S. address I can use and will try my Canadian Visa card, based on your post this should work.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Any creditcard giftcard that you purchase can be used with any name/address.
They sell visa giftcards
amex giftcards
mastercard giftcards
american express giftcards

as long as its a prepaid giftcard, meaning you pay in advance to load money onto it. You can enter any address or name. The cards dont actualy have a name or address as they are meant to be given as gifts and will work with any name or address given.

Smithy12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody actually used a prepay AT&T sim in the iPad. I'm from the UK and will be travelling within the California area on vacation and was hoping to use my iPad.

I can buy a sim card via e@ay and the seller will also be able to put credit on the sim.

Thanks

RobertHodgson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ATT&T Sim

The Ipad account has to be set up on the Ipad directly so adding credit to the sim before hand will not work.

When you get the the States just stop by a Corp ATT&T store and buy the micro sim there, enter the stores address and use your American Express and you should have no problems

Failing that just pick up a Visa Gift card and use it

Rob

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am presently in the States on vacation. What I did was buy an AT&T micro sim off of eBay as I didn't want to be looking for a store while on the road. When I got here I tried to sign up with a U.S. address and my Canadian visa number on the iPad and it would not accept it. It kept kicking back the address I guess because it didn't match my address on file. I went down to the pharmacy here, picked up a prepaid visa and that worked like a charm. One important note, after you sign up immediately cancel your account through the iPad, your account will stay valid for the term and cancel at the end. The reason I say this is if you leave the country and didn't cancel your account and you do not have AT&T service you will not be able to cancel and it auto-renews every month.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick question for Mike and the other gurus, how would you compare the Ipad with the Netbook where traveling and connectivity is concerned. By traveling, I am here referring to being in another country.

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick question for Mike and the other gurus, how would you compare the Ipad with the Netbook where traveling and connectivity is concerned. By traveling, I am here referring to being in another country.

iPad hands down, instant boot, check stuff quickly, maps, portability, it's all better. I brought my net book for the kids however it stays in the condo, the iPad is with us all the time, the map app is great for getting around and searching info while on the move. Brought it to the beach for music and movies, it was great. Battery life is also a big plus compared to the net book. I would say though that it would not be so great without the 3G, luckily this is easily done and well worth the $25.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

iPad hands down, instant boot, check stuff quickly, maps, portability, it's all better. I brought my net book for the kids however it stays in the condo, the iPad is with us all the time, the map app is great for getting around and searching info while on the move. Brought it to the beach for music and movies, it was great. Battery life is also a big plus compared to the net book. I would say though that it would not be so great without the 3G, luckily this is easily done and well worth the $25.

Ok. Thanks for your response. What about the net book as far as connecting to the internet when traveling to another country? I am not talking about wifi now. How practical is it to use the stick? Like with the Ipad, you can put in another micro sim what do you do for the Netbook?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great stuff
I'm a Canadian going on vacation in the US soon and will try the prepaid credit card method.
How much will I need on that prepaid credit card for the At&T plan (the larger one). My vacation is less than a month, so I want to buy a prepaid that'll be just enough to pay for one month and cover any other fee if applicable.
Regards

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great stuff
I'm a Canadian going on vacation in the US soon and will try the prepaid credit card method.
How much will I need on that prepaid credit card for the At&T plan (the larger one). My vacation is less than a month, so I want to buy a prepaid that'll be just enough to pay for one month and cover any other fee if applicable.
Regards

It depends on what State you use as your address, some charge tax, some don't. I used my Florida address and didn't pay tax so it cost an even $25 for the 2Gig package. You might as well get a bigger pre-paid credit card like I did ($50) and use up the rest on other things, I gave it to the kids as its great for them to use.

Most reactions