What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I also unlocked my IPhone 3G and bought the wife an unlocked GSM phone. Bought two AT&T GoPhone sims off ebay for $.99 each and bought two $15 prepaid card when down here. We pay $1 a day per phone and that gets us unlimited cell to cell calling and $.10/minute to land lines.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will do that
I was just wondering if there was an activation fee or something
We're going to various States in New England

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will do that

Count on activation fees unless you sign their standard two year contract. Virgin mobile is pretty decent for pay as you go

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will do that

Count on activation fees unless you sign their standard two year contract. Virgin mobile is pretty decent for pay as you go

What?

There are no activation fees on the IPad and no minimum service agreement. Simply insert sim, sign up for service on the IPad and then cancel on the IPad. The only catch is you need to be in a Wifi hot spot to sign up as you need wifi to get the sim signed up, remember to cancel before leaving the U.S. Because it needs to be done on the IPad, not sure if it would work when you are back home and out of carrier range, calling them could be painful.

mats

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad sim in UK

is there a sim for ipad in UK I can buy when I`m there..at the moment no stores have it so I cannot use it (2 expensive 2 use my swedish carrier)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mats check with 3.co.uk.
They do pay as you go sim cards and its fairly easy to top up either through a phone shop or online.
Stopped at a motorway cafe the other day and found my credit was low so popped into a phone shop nextdoor and bought 25gb, openned the 3 site in my browser and entered the code. Done.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will do that

What?

There are no activation fees on the IPad and no minimum service agreement. Simply insert sim, sign up for service on the IPad and then cancel on the IPad. The only catch is you need to be in a Wifi hot spot to sign up as you need wifi to get the sim signed up, remember to cancel before leaving the U.S. Because it needs to be done on the IPad, not sure if it would work when you are back home and out of carrier range, calling them could be painful.
Unfortunately, with Telus, in Canada, there are. You are given a phone number for the iPad and there were activation fees of 35$. When I got my first bill, those fees were not there but that does not mean they won't charge me later.

I wasn't able to hook up with the iPad by myself. The service was only offered the week before. The technician I reached only got the seminar on the preceding day and still hadn't even seen an iPad.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it didnt work
were on our way to boston from montreal, i stopped in burlington at the att store
they say they cant sell me a microsim if i dont have an acount with att
we spent an hour on the phone with att customer service
i argued, saying that once i would put the microsim in, id have to create the acount and payment info
i managed to convince them to let me try. they got a microsim, popped it in.
when trying to go in the "acou t info" in the cellular settings, itjust said no service. rebooting didnt work. i gave up.
i stopped in a rest area with wifi to post this. If you have ideas or suggestions i would appreciate
from the hotel in boston ill have wifi and check for replies
thanks

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean.

When you say Burlington, is this the one in Ontario?

If it is, I am not sure if AT&T in Burlington would work out for you. Maybe I didn't get that part right.

Anyway, the system does work. I am from Ontario and currently traveling. I am in West Palm Beach right now as I type using 3G from AT&T.

I landed in Georgia, went to the local Walmart, bought the AT&T microsim card, inserted it. I also bought a prepaid credit card. I have to admit, I wasn't so sure about that part because the card had Walmart written on it and said it could' be used outside of the country. I was of the feeling that a prepaid gift credit card would work anywhere.

I tried to connect the service but it wasn't working at first because I had not registered the card online. After I did that, everything has been working smoothly. The one problem I am having, minor though it may be, is that when I am in some areas in Georgia I only get Edge service instead of 3G. Other that, the system works.

I am not sure but maybe what you should try doing is do all your hook ups in the country you plan to use the service.

Last edited:

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant Burlington, Vermont
The ATT store wouldnt sell me the microsim without an ATT acount

so, you bought you microsim at Wallmart. Ill check to see if there is a walmart nearby
thanks

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok there is a Wallmart about one hour from here.
I checked online on the Walmart web site, and can't find sim or microsim cards. Anyway, you say you bought it in a Wallmart so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Also I noticed that the person who said you could buy a microsim in the AT&T store is an American, not a Canadian.
I'll post an update. I'll check this thread tomorrow before leaving, in case others have more info to share.
Regards

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I did the research before and it did reveal that Walmart sold it. When I went to the Walmart the attendant there said they had the micro sim card but it was for the iPhone. I was pretty sure it could work so I told her to let me see what it looked like. When I saw it, it was just like I had seen in my research.

I asked her how much it was and she said $24. I told her it should cost $15. She scanned it and it was $15. I knew then it was the right thing. As I said, it has worked. I am using it right now.

Make sure that you have wifi connection to register the credit card and to sign up for the service.

Last edited:

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, many thanks for the confirmation
perhaps the US ipads come preloaded with the ATT carrier settings, but not the Canadian ones, hence why we need a connection to activate it
I will report back

Kace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also buy the AT&T sim card at a US Best Buy. That's where I purchased mine when I was in Indiana.

Most reactions

Latest posts