What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfering photos from ipad to computer, HELP!!!!

starslam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I transfer photos from my iPad to computer, on my computer all the pictures can not be rotated. I've tried to rotate them on the iPad but it still turned out not rotated on the computer. Is there anyway that I can rotate it on the computer? Is there a free app that lets me rotate it correctly? I would prefer to rotate it on my computer, but it won't work. Help please!!! Thanks.

iBaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What OS on the computer are you using? I carnt see any reason why you carnt rotate the pictures. How about photoshop?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

In either Windows 7 or 8 I can copy and paste the images from the iPad into my PC and then right click on them in Windows Explorer and select rotate right or left.
But I think that they do have to be moved to my computer first, I don't think I can do it while they are still in the iPod.

I'm new to this iPad thing too.

When I imported the images through iTunes they opened in Windows Live Photo Viewer and that had an application that would rotate them as well.

Mike

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you're not trying to rotate the actual photos on the iPad itself. If you open the iPad by clicking on your start menu then on "Computer" or "My Computer" and seeing the iPad as a device, then drilling down to the folder with the photos, you cannot rotate those photos. You can copy them to a new folder on your hard drive and then edit them as you wish. The iPad just looks like another device to your Windows computer, like a camera or a flash drive but you must move or copy the photos to your computer before you can edit them.

OP
S

starslam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Make sure you're not trying to rotate the actual photos on the iPad itself. If you open the iPad by clicking on your start menu then on "Computer" or "My Computer" and seeing the iPad as a device, then drilling down to the folder with the photos, you cannot rotate those photos. You can copy them to a new folder on your hard drive and then edit them as you wish. The iPad just looks like another device to your Windows computer, like a camera or a flash drive but you must move or copy the photos to your computer before you can edit them.

I did copy them to another folder on the computer and they would not rotate. I am using Windows Vista. When I try to rotate them it says, "You cannot rotate this image. the file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read only." It is definitely not in use by another program because I have none open and I restarted my computer. Is there a way to make the photos so they are not read only?

Ok, The weird thing is that it lets me rotate like 5 pictures out of 15, but not the rest. What could be the problem?

Last edited:

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Use a free program called Unlocker to see what program has the files in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also try unplugging the iPad before you rotate them.

It may be seeing the iPad as the other device they are open in.
It may be maintaining a link to them after they are moved.

OP
S

starslam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mesue said:
Use a free program called Unlocker to see what program has the files in use.

Where do I find that? is it for Windows?

My iPad was unplugged before I tried to rotate them.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Yes, it's free for Windows. Google for it but be careful with the installer. It tries to put other stuff on if you don't uncheck the boxes during installation.

Most reactions