What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer photos to an external hard drive without using a laptop

LavenderTwin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an external hard drive connected to my internet, but can't seem to transfer photos to it using my iPad Pro. I don't have a working lap top. I have 200G storage using Apple Cloud, but I've always been a little confused as to how to store photos on the cloud while not having those photos on my iPad, in order to free up space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
LavenderTwin2

LavenderTwin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I've done some reading from previous posts. It seems that you can't store photos using the Cloud and not have them on your devices, as well. Dang! I do have Flickr, so that is definitely an option. I still want to be able to have my photos on my Seagate External Hard drive, without having to buy a laptop to do it. I love Apple, but the lack of a USB port is a real bummer. Before I bought my iPad Pro, I really investigated non Apple options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Lavender..... - welcome to the forum! :) First, you will not be able to use your external HD w/ a USB attachment on an iPad like you would on a Mac computer (or a PC). Second, take a look at this POST that I left in the forums a year ago - some of the information will not apply to you w/o a computer, but several external 'storage' devices are mentioned. Since that post, many more external options have become available - take a look at this Amazon Search for some more considerations. Dave

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are other "cloud" solutions which don't have the same limitations as Apple's iCloud storage.

One that I use regularly in box.com. Can't remember how much free storage you get but it's enough to store quite a few photographs (100s)

Most reactions

Latest posts