What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi External Hard Drives.

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 247820

Do external WiFi enabled hard drives connect in both directions with iPad 2?
I am aware that they are used to stream video from the WiFi hard drive to the iPad, but is it possible to upload video or photos from iPad to the WiFi hard drive?
Er. I think this question is in the correct forum? Sorry if not.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do external WiFi enabled hard drives connect in both directions with iPad 2?
I am aware that they are used to stream video from the WiFi hard drive to the iPad, but is it possible to upload video or photos from iPad to the WiFi hard drive?
Er. I think this question is in the correct forum? Sorry if not.

It depends on the drive in question. For the airstash+, yes there is flow both ways but through an app interface. For example, I can copy all or any photo from the photo folder to the airstash+.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi AQ.
Thanks for prompt reply.
Can you upload videos, and text from a notebook as well? (With the Airstash).
Is there a designation that shows that a Wifi enabled external drive will up and download?
Much thanks as I was surprised I could not get an answer at my local Apple shop, they just did not know!
Very strange.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't want to speak in terms of any wifi drive, because I don't have all of them. But for the AirStash+, I can use it with both a laptop, an Apple device, and any device that has either a web interface or an app. You can upload and download. But I would highly recommend you decided what device you want and then see what features it has. I do believe that most of them have these features. Go to their websites and read their feature lists.

The people at the Apple shop just know about apple devices. They cannot and are not paid to track what third party devices do.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

I don't want to speak in terms of any wifi drive, because I don't have all of them. But for the AirStash+, I can use it with both a laptop, an Apple device, and any device that has either a web interface or an app. You can upload and download. But I would highly recommend you decided what device you want and then see what features it has. I do believe that most of them have these features. Go to their websites and read their feature lists. The people at the Apple shop just know about apple devices. They cannot and are not paid to track what third party devices do.
Hi AQ.
Thanks once again.
I have looked at several of these devices and noted that they don't say directly that they upload iPad to device. Some seem to imply they do! That's all.
But hey that's why I asked the question directly.
If I worked at Apple I would really want to know the limits of the device I was selling. Hey check out the guys in PC land they know what you can use and not use!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
An app can only upload to an external wi-fi device if the developer built that feature into the app. So, in most cases your notes and other text document will not upload directly to the wi-fi device.

However, a 'good' wi-fi device will come with a good support app. This app should be capable of recognizing most document types and show up as an Open In option for apps with those types. What that means is that you can 'probably' copy the document to the support app using Open In, and then save that to the Wi-Fi device. A process that will involve going back and deleting the document afterwards if you don't want two copies.

So, when researching your wi-fi device also research the support app that comes with it, and make sure it supports all the document types you want.

Apps that do not support Open In, like the Notes app, will require more indirect methods if you want to save their content on your external storage device.

All this is from the perspective of someone who has not actually purchased or used one of these devices. I've read about them, and I now how apps can and do transfer documents for other similar (mostly cloud storage) solutions. None of this guaranteed to be true.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

An app can only upload to an external wi-fi device if the developer built that feature into the app. So, in most cases your notes and other text document will not upload directly to the wi-fi device. However, a 'good' wi-fi device will come with a good support app. This app should be capable of recognizing most document types and show up as an Open In option for apps with those types. What that means is that you can 'probably' copy the document to the support app using Open In, and then save that to the Wi-Fi device. A process that will involve going back and deleting the document afterwards if you don't want two copies. So, when researching your wi-fi device also research the support app that comes with it, and make sure it supports all the document types you want. Apps that do not support Open In, like the Notes app, will require more indirect methods if you want to save their content on your external storage device. All this is from the perspective of someone who has not actually purchased or used one of these devices. I've read about them, and I now how apps can and do transfer documents for other similar (mostly cloud storage) solutions. None of this guaranteed to be true.
Hi T Poet.
Thanks for your clear views and disclaimer.
The main reason I have not bought one of these devices is simply because makers claims about what they will do seem vague presently.
Thus to buy one and "suck and see" is not an option yet.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Several people on the forum have the Apotop Wi-Reader for their iPads. It is not a hard drive, but you can do quite a bit with big SD cards. Anyway, they discuss it extensively in this thread, where you can probably ask questions, if they are still monitoring it. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/109434-apotop-wi-reader-wireless-reader-router.html
Hi T Poet.
Big thanks for that link!
That device sounds mighty. Like Mighty Mouse!
Actually sounds more versatile than a external USB WiFi drive.
I am going to follow it up for myself right now.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It works great the new model supports 1tb hd. The app allows transfer both directions documents, Picts and movies
One can stream different movies to more than one device at the same time. One other nice feature is it acts as a portable charger if not streaming videos. I increased battery life on a iPhone 5 to 14 hours which is handy while traveling. I did not try to charge an iPad so cannot comment on that. If one has only a 16gb iPad you can view the sd card or USB on the unit with out taking valuable space on the iPad. Cheers

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet. I am building a case in my mind to justify buying one.

Hi Col B. Good to hear from someone who has used one.
I see it as fixing the "fatal flaw" of the iPad, that is the missing USB or SD slot. (And better it creates a hot spot is a big bonus).
Also may I ask? Have you the WD17 or the WD09? From what I can see there is not much difference between them.

Last edited by a moderator:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The adapters for the iPad supports sd cards and USB how ever to import photos only It is not a flaw it is specifically designed like that as wifi is fast and easy way to print, access wifi devices like cameras , hard drives and servers. I get the same comments about lack of DVD drives on some note books that it is poor design To be honest I rarely hear any one complaining about lack of USB ports from any iPad owner. The new WD17. model has a longer battery life plus supports bigger hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions