What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad photos moved to external hard drive

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To reduce the internal memory usage on the iPad. What is the best way to move photos from the iPad photo roll to an external hard drive, if possible without the use of a computer and are you still able to view the moved photos on this external drive with the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - well, if your main object is to remove images from your iPad, then you must first tell us 'how' the images were put into the device's 'Photo App' (I'm assuming that is what your are using?). The usual sources are: 1) Sync from a computer via iTunes; 2) Added by using the iPad's camera; 3) Downloaded from the web and/or email attachments; and 4) Wireless transfers to mentioned the ways that I have used. NOW, importantly for the first option, i.e. images synced via iTunes can certainly be exported to another storage site but can only be removed w/ another computer sync. With all of the other options, images can be transferred and then removed from iPad's storage.

Let me just provide one choice (there are others, of course) which is 'wireless', portable, easy, inexpensive, and does not need an established Wi-Fi network (the device creates its own network and works w/ an app on the iPad) - AirStash (pic below & info HERE). Storage is to a SD card (and these come in LARGE capacities these days) which might be your digital camera's card or another. Images can be moved in either direction and then deleted from the iPad (except for the one limitation mentioned above). Others will likely 'chime in' w/ more suggestions and their favorite method to accomplish your goal. Good luck - Dave :)

airstash_16gb.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Online photo storage/sharing services are also worth considering. Combined with an app for your iPad, you can have nearly unlimited photo storage, available whenever you have an internet connection.

You'll probably still want some kind of hardware storage, for the important stuff. Sometimes online services go out of business; though they will usually supply tools to export your stuff back to hardware or another online service.

I use Flickr to some extent. There are lots of others.

Also, iOS 8 is supposed to offer nearly unlimited photo storage with your iCloud account. Whether that will incur extra storage fees is unclear (to me) at this time; but they are also making their extra iCloud storage fees much more affordable; competitive even.

kendo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To reduce the internal memory usage on the iPad. What is the best way to move photos from the iPad photo roll to an external hard drive, if possible without the use of a computer and are you still able to view the moved photos on this external drive with the iPad.

Have a look at RAVpower RP-WD01 on amazon I used at chanonry point a few months back, great to sit in the car and look at the pics from SD card on ipad and back up files from ipad to portable hard drive.

hope that helps

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Western digital has released a new wifi drive with SD slot 500gb, 1tb and 2tb sizes. You can stream to 3 devices at the same time the drive is battery pot as well as USB for charging. It also can be used on s PC or Mac two way transfer is available using its own wifi hot spot

Administrator, iPad forums

kendo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info col.bris forgot about the new WD drive, if the OP has a portable drive then the ravpower thing is only around £35 if I remember from amazon uk.
the reason for saying about the ravpower is I already have a seageta wireless plus which is really garbage keeps freezing and locking up and the ravpower was a cheap work around for the dslr to ipad 4.

good luck with whatever option you go with but PLEASE dont go for seagate wireless plus mines was from just after launch date and has never really worked that well.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had issues with the seagate however one needs to update the drive new interface much better than before. Wd is my preference

Administrator, iPad forums

Most reactions