What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer content to new iPad

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought the the new iPad after using the first generation model for a couple years. I backed up my old iPad to iTunes and attempted a restore. I did the restore to the new iPad. But when the new iPad restarted, it gave the original options to treat it as a new device or to restore. After the restart, I chose a different option to treat it as a new iPad. It ended up restoring all of my apps. But I am missing many GB of content, including videos, photos, books, etc.

Where did I go wrong? Do I need to start over? Call Apple Care?

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I spend the entire morning with some of the same issues. All of my music, videos, and photos did not sync. I was trying to use cloud, and for some reason that didn't bring back everything,although I did a backup first.

I called apple and they had me plug my iPad to my computer, not do the auto sync, but sync only what I was missing: pics, videos, music ( from CDs not purchased from iTunes). For the books, you have to go into that apps and download them. Same with magazines. It took a while, but I finally got everything straightened out.

Hope this helps.

OP
skallal

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I came to the same conclusion. Not all content transfers from the iTunes backup. It looks like my GoodReader files got transferred, but none of my Distro articles got restored.

I found a video on CNET showing how to transfer to a new iPad. It mentioned selecting books, movies, photos, etc. on their respective tabs iTunes. For example, not all my books made it into iBooks. So it looks like I'll have to create a list by hand and import the missing files manually in iTunes.

Then I can start playing with the new toy!

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up my iPad using iTunes, restoring it with a back up of my iPhone, but my Notes didn't transfer over to the iPad. Anyone know how to get the notes from one device to another?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5er driver said:
I set up my iPad using iTunes, restoring it with a back up of my iPhone, but my Notes didn't transfer over to the iPad. Anyone know how to get the notes from one device to another?

Have you got it checked to on in the the iCloud settings.....

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-1259099160.jpg
    image-1259099160.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 296

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, on both devices. Most of my Settings, all of my Contacts, and all of my Bookmarks transferred without any issues.
I'm bewildered. :/

Kangas96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had same prob but i noticed some apps were unchecked in iTunes. Checked them, sync and all was OK.

To the guy with the 1st Gen iPad: Is the sound on your 1st Gen better than the 3rd Gens (when playing the same song, video etc). Mine is and I want to know if that means it is faulty.

Most reactions

Latest posts