What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Apps from IPAD 1 to IPAD 3

sirpreet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear All,

Good day,

I have been reading some posts on how to transfer apps from IPAD 1 to IPAD 3. I tried to do the same but still not successful. Can anyone please assist.

My Ipad1 is Jailbroken. It has a lot of apps where i have purchased things, like farm story, etc. As per forum, I did a back up of my ipad1. and transfered apps to the Itunes. Thereafter connected the new Ipad3 to same itunes.

Transfered / Sync of all the apps to the new ipad3 - Apps have got transfered to the new IPAD3 BUT there is nothing in them. Like the farmstory has no points or things which i had on the previous ipad. It is just a new game of farm story.

I have spent a lot of money on these games as mother plays them and these games are at advance stage. But in the new Ipad3, there is nothing. just the game.

Also, i tried to do a restore from the back up of ipad1 to ipad3 --- everytime itune is trying to restore, it says cannot restore as the ipad was disconnected. Where as it wasnt.

I would highly appreciate if someone could please assist.

Rgds,

Sirpreet

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings,
When you set up the new iPad 3 did you set it up as a new device or restore it from backup? And, are you logged into the iPad 3 with the same account that you use on the iPad 1? Have you logged in to the game with the same credentials that you use on the iPad 1?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sirpreet said:
Dear All,

Good day,

I have been reading some posts on how to transfer apps from IPAD 1 to IPAD 3. I tried to do the same but still not successful. Can anyone please assist.

My Ipad1 is Jailbroken. It has a lot of apps where i have purchased things, like farm story, etc. As per forum, I did a back up of my ipad1. and transfered apps to the Itunes. Thereafter connected the new Ipad3 to same itunes.

Transfered / Sync of all the apps to the new ipad3 - Apps have got transfered to the new IPAD3 BUT there is nothing in them. Like the farmstory has no points or things which i had on the previous ipad. It is just a new game of farm story.

I have spent a lot of money on these games as mother plays them and these games are at advance stage. But in the new Ipad3, there is nothing. just the game.

Also, i tried to do a restore from the back up of ipad1 to ipad3 --- everytime itune is trying to restore, it says cannot restore as the ipad was disconnected. Where as it wasnt.

I would highly appreciate if someone could please assist.

Rgds,

Sirpreet

A backup in iTunes doesn't save the data in the apps, for that you need something like iCloud, which will backup all your app data.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Minor clarification but yes, a backup does save your app data, your settings, etc. A restore from backup wipes everything off the destination iPad and puts that specific backup on it (apps and all - as long as they are still in iTunes); it restores everything but the firmware. It's how I set my iPad3 up from my iPad1 - I restored from the iPad1's back-up in iTunes...

When you connected the iPad3 to iTunes in order to put the iPad1 backup file on it, did you right click on the iPad3 line and select "restore from backup" (and then select the backup file from the iPad1)?

Unless the iPad1 backup is corrupt, that process should work. So, we'll need to know the exact wording of the error notice from iTunes to see if we can help.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Minor clarification but yes, a backup does save your app data, your settings, etc. A restore from backup wipes everything off the destination iPad and puts that specific backup on it (apps and all - as long as they are still in iTunes); it restores everything but the firmware. It's how I set my iPad3 up from my iPad1 - I restored from the iPad1's back-up in iTunes...

When you connected the iPad3 to iTunes in order to put the iPad1 backup file on it, did you right click on the iPad3 line and select "restore from backup" (and then select the backup file from the iPad1)?

Unless the iPad1 backup is corrupt, that process should work. So, we'll need to know the exact wording of the error notice from iTunes to see if we can help.

Marilyn

Thanks for clarifying, Marilyn. Your answer will better serve the OP.

OP
S

sirpreet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,
When you set up the new iPad 3 did you set it up as a new device or restore it from backup? And, are you logged into the iPad 3 with the same account that you use on the iPad 1? Have you logged in to the game with the same credentials that you use on the iPad 1?

When i was setting up the new Ipad3, i started to do the restore from ipad1. but unfortunately, the battery went dead and had to than charge the ipad3 and start process again.

When i plugged in the new ipad3 into itunes, it didnt ask for restore or anything, just started syncing the apps. When it does the sync of apps, it does not have the data of the apps or the credentials. just the simple game app. nothing else. As if the game is starting new.

Thereafter i also did a right click on the ipad3 button showing on the left side, and did a restore from backup. It starts to do the restore... nearly 75 % done and it says, your ipad is disconnected and cannot restore. this is the message.

In the app section of the itunes, i think the apps have complete data as it is 101 mb or 50mb or 200 mb, etc etc size for the apps. thus they are surely not just the game but also the data of the apps is present. to my surprise, the data doesnt show up.

OP
S

sirpreet

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Many thanks first of all to Marilyn and scifan57, highly appreciate your assistance.

I just put a post to reply the answer from FID and in turn it also replies to your question on - what happened exactly.

I have not yet deleted the data from my ipad1. is it possible to do another back of the ipad1 on the same itunes (incase the backup is corrupt)
Then connect the ipad3 to the same itunes and do a restore again. As it it was happening for the first time ?

Exact wording which shows in the IPAD3 is " Ipad is disconnected, cannot do restore"

It seems that when the battery went dead during the restore of the ipad3, it must have got something to do with it.

So please help to advise how i make the back up again and do a new restore again on the same pc.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks first of all to Marilyn and scifan57, highly appreciate your assistance.

I just put a post to reply the answer from FID and in turn it also replies to your question on - what happened exactly.

I have not yet deleted the data from my ipad1. is it possible to do another back of the ipad1 on the same itunes (incase the backup is corrupt)
Then connect the ipad3 to the same itunes and do a restore again. As it it was happening for the first time ?

Exact wording which shows in the IPAD3 is " Ipad is disconnected, cannot do restore"

It seems that when the battery went dead during the restore of the ipad3, it must have got something to do with it.

So please help to advise how i make the back up again and do a new restore again on the same pc.

Heck, it's worth a try. Given that the iPad1 has not been wiped, here's how I'd do it:

Delete all iPad1 and iPad3 backups from iTunes. To do (apologies if you know) - go to Edit > Preferences > Devices to find the backups. Then, highlight the ones you want gone and press the "Delete Backup" button.

Then, when they are gone, connect the iPad1 to iTunes. Do the right click and "transfer purchases" option first Ito make sure everything on the iPad1 is moved over to iTunes. Then, right click again to select "Backup." When it's done, disconnect the iPad1. Oh, and make note of the time so you can easily ID that backup again.

Now, connect the (fully charged :)) iPad3 to iTunes, right click and select "restore from backup" and select the ipad1 backup you just made. Hopefully, that will do it and iTunes will start and finish working it's magic.

See if that works? If not, holler back and we'll see what we can do.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts