What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took the iPad 2 for a long road trip overseas.......

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant write up Sert. I will be saving this for when I need it. Thank you very much!!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent thread many thanks from our team at IPF like to make it a sticky in the international section .

Now a sticky here love to hear about more of your travels.

augratin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add to last post....we land in Hanoi.....where do we get a card for the pad??????

Just start asking around to any rodeside shop keepers who sell SIM cards of any type. If they can't cut a micro-sim for you, chances are they will know who to call. This happened to me in Nha Trang. I went to a regular cell phone SIM card seller and he knew what he micro-sim was but he couldn't make one himself. So he made a call and within about 30 minutes some guy arrived on a motorbike and started filing down a regular SIM card for me and it worked like a charm.

Evelynvdh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply and advice! They're a truly resourceful group of people in Asia. And BOY do they LOVE seeing and iPad!!!!!!!! As written earlier in the thread they are amazed at what it can do. The pads are so expensive for the average person to buy.
We will venture forth in Hanoi and see their resourcefulness! Thanks again! :))))

Evelynvdh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there! Our cut down Telkomsel SIM card, with scissors!, worked in Indonesia and also when we got back to Australia!!!!! It accessed Telstra, 3G, Optus, and Vodaphone in different Locations! Interesting!!!!!! ;)

OP
S

SERT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm glad this thread has been helping some folks along during your trips.

Ref Vietnam
What a resourceful group of folks. Using earrings to pop the SIM tray open, making a custom paper punch to help in punching the regular SIMs. The list just goes on and one. Evelyn, my recommendations for an iTraveler or iExplorer is to invest in a good sim cut punch. Those things don't cost much at all and I usually get offers to trade 'em for a local sim card :) That and the fact that they will always remember you and when you come around the next time, you see that big smile on their faces 'cos they are the new go to guys for 'custom' micro sim.

*Always make sure that when there are options, buy the sim that is meant for web/internet.

It's tentative for now but my next trip is planned for Kenya and possibly Ghana. If I do make it there this month I will make sure to update everyone on my iPad use. Africa appears to be gaining ground in mobile use and I think Orange in Kenya already has micro sim cards. We'll see.

Safe travels to one and all.

Helm

Evelynvdh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Helm. I'm not sure I could be as precise as our guy in "Lembang" and his scissors but definitely I'll look into it! We could have the " iPad around around the world" and what works, wrapped up with this thread. This is all really interesting!!!!!!

OP
S

SERT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nairobi, Kenya

Hey guys,

Quick update from the road. Currently in Nairobi, Kenya and I was able to pick up a micro SIM card from one of the mobile providers here, Orange. Here's a link to their website.

One thing to note is that after inserting the SIM it does require you to enter the APN number for the connection to work. The APN number you need is 'bew.orange.co.ke'

The micro SIM cost 50KSH (Kenyan Shillings) and I started off with 500KSH top up. The folks at Orange will activate the card and top it up for you.

Haven't had a chance to test much of the iPad out other than the usual emails and web. Did use Google Map for one trip and it worked flawlessly. That said, the 3G connection is not widely available so expect drops along the way.

FYI, $1 USD = 90KSH

Will have more on my the next leg of my trip.

Cheers,

Helm

dipaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear International ipad2 users,
I will be traveling to the DR Congo, Uganda and Central African Republic for about six months. Does anyone have any experience using the ipad2 in these countries? Thank you very much!

DP

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dipaul said:
Dear International ipad2 users,
I will be traveling to the DR Congo, Uganda and Central African Republic for about six months. Does anyone have any experience using the ipad2 in these countries? Thank you very much!

DP

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

kirstyghent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in China with my iPad2 and cannot get onto sites like Facebook and YouTube due to web restrictions. You can get onto these sites using a program called freeu. But because this runs on Windows I cannot use them. I have only been here one week (and will be here a year!!!) and its already driving me crazy.

And due to the web restrictions I cant even search online for how to get round these problems

Anyone got any suggestions? any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Kirsty

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Hi, I'm currently in China with my iPad2 and cannot get onto sites like Facebook and YouTube due to web restrictions. You can get onto these sites using a program called freeu. But because this runs on Windows I cannot use them. I have only been here one week (and will be here a year!!!) and its already driving me crazy.

And due to the web restrictions I cant even search online for how to get round these problems

Anyone got any suggestions? any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Kirsty

Your SOL im afraid. Its the countries restrictions.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

kirstyghent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
Your SOL im afraid. Its the countries restrictions.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I know it's the countries restrictions, just wondering if anyone knows a way to run a windows program off an iPad? Will remotely accessing a computer with windows and the program on work?

Undefined.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, That sounds amazing:) The furthest I've been with my iPad is the Philippines.I've been planning to go around Asia for most of my life, or been wanting to anyway, so hope you're enjoying yourself:)

lukepast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"sometime in the near future I'm going to try to find a good waterproof bag for it when I attempt to circumnavigate Koh Mak in a kayak."

Try AquaPac :
http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-ipad-laptop-cases.html

Most reactions

Latest posts