What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

Amanda harrison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used a micro sim that apparently works in all countries ie maxroam? I paid 90 euros for mine but it stopped after 3 days - max roam said I needed more credit which I put on plus a credit bundle but it still doesn't work and I cannot get an answer out of maxroam - is it better to buy a sim for whatever country you're in? I live in France but travel to the uk and Italy quite a lot

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used a micro sim that apparently works in all countries ie maxroam? I paid 90 euros for mine but it stopped after 3 days - max roam said I needed more credit which I put on plus a credit bundle but it still doesn't work and I cannot get an answer out of maxroam - is it better to buy a sim for whatever country you're in? I live in France but travel to the uk and Italy quite a lot

I have never tried the micro sim card that works in all countries. I think that would mean roaming charges.
I would go with getting the sim for a particular country. That is the one big advantage the Ipad has over other devices where you have to purchase contracts like when you are buying a phone.

Karen irlandaise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Europe travelling

I am in a similar situation, living in France, but travelling to the UK regularly and am new to all things Apple. I have a 3 pay as you go microsim to use in the UK and have been told that Orange have a similar plan here and it is simple to buy the card and replace one for the other buying top up cards wherever they are sold, no need for credit cards as it was a major factor in my purchase - I have a UK credit card with a French registered address and couldn't even buy aps, and had to use a Gift Voucher route! :mad:

Is this money laundering gone mad or what? I can use my cc for purchases all over the world for everything except buying from Apple!

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I did cancel it.
After 60 days of inactivity, the acount is automatically deleted.

Did you look at the "international data package" options? »Ridiculous... 200$ for 20MB lol.
Latest high tech technology with dark ages plan structure.

G'day I had an issue with my roaming charges as I travel a lot here in Europe and averaged 300 € per month. I have opted for wabnet as they cover my area.

Best of luck
ipadLovr

Travelling to Germany [only] in month of May. What are the best options for MicroSim's there and data carriers? Only need for about 3 weeks. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This new IPad 2 where you are tied to a carrier is a bit perplexing to me. Does this work like phone now?
If so, what does that mean for traveling with the iPad?

mrphantuan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we just got back from the US and I had no issues using a Canadian American Express Card to activate my Ipad
All I did was use the local ATT@T corps stores address for Billing and Usage info and My name and Amex # the the system took about 2 minutes to activate the account.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This new IPad 2 where you are tied to a carrier is a bit perplexing to me. Does this work like phone now?

It's not really tied/locked...
Verizon uses the CDMA technology for its wireless system, while AT&T uses the more common GSM technology.
From what I understand, there's a CDMA iPad2 and a GSM iPad2.

So, a Canadian GSM iPad2 should work on the US AT&T network, but not on Verizon

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's not really tied/locked...
Verizon uses the CDMA technology for its wireless system, while AT&T uses the more common GSM technology.
From what I understand, there's a CDMA iPad2 and a GSM iPad2.

So, a Canadian GSM iPad2 should work on the US AT&T network, but not on Verizon

Good to know.
Thanks.

Phil_Legault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrphantuan said:
we just got back from the US and I had no issues using a Canadian American Express Card to activate my Ipad
All I did was use the local ATT@T corps stores address for Billing and Usage info and My name and Amex # the the system took about 2 minutes to activate the account.

If anyone has solved the issue of using a Canadian VISA card to purchase ATT data plan, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrphantuan said:

If anyone has solved the issue of using a Canadian VISA card to purchase ATT data plan, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Me too. I don't have an Amex but I have a Canadian Visa.
In Sept 2010 AT&T did not accept my canadian Visa but accepted a US Visa gift card

Phil_Legault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrphantuan said:

Thanks

Me too. I don't have an Amex but I have a Canadian Visa.
In Sept 2010 AT&T did not accept my canadian Visa but accepted a US Visa gift card

Thanks for the note. Can you still use a Visa gift card? The payment system has changed now that it automatically charges you credit card until you cancel.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It always "automatically" charged each month, I always had to cancel my count before coming back into Canada.
Last time I used a Visa gift card was Feb 2011, still worked.

Phil_Legault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It always "automatically" charged each month, I always had to cancel my count before coming back into Canada.
Last time I used a Visa gift card was Feb 2011, still worked.

Didn't the address have to match the billing address of the VISA? Did you just use any US address for it to work. I'll try that today. Thanks

ipadtwoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Avoid unsupported universal sim cards

Mats check with 3.co.uk.
They do pay as you go sim cards and its fairly easy to top up either through a phone shop or online.
Stopped at a motorway cafe the other day and found my credit was low so popped into a phone shop nextdoor and bought 25gb, openned the 3 site in my browser and entered the code. Done.

For connection abroad I acquired some weeks ago a sim card from wabnet which I bought in Paris. I totally sucks and I can't recommend. The website provides no contact number, nor on the support form nor on the contact form. I never got called back it is really an unsopported product.:mad:

Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts