What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much to ask for Flash capabilities?

jq3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At what point will the iPad be able to show Flash websites???? Kinda sad if you ask me. What's the hold up? I've had my iPad for almost 2 months and it's lack of Flash capabilities is really annoying me more than I thought it would!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flash is NOT going to happen one only needs to do a search on google to find out the reasons why. I am surprised you were unaware of this issue when you purchased the iPad. I have owned a 3GS iPhone for more than a year and the iPad since released. I personally have had only 2 times that I wanted to look at a flash site one of which was RACQ map site in Australia. I just went to an alternative site. The other factor is you must have a pc or a Mac why not use the computers to visit your sites that use flash?

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At what point will the iPad be able to show Flash websites???? Kinda sad if you ask me. What's the hold up? I've had my iPad for almost 2 months and it's lack of Flash capabilities is really annoying me more than I thought it would!

So either you did not do your homework before purchasing the iPad or you brought it anyway and decide to complain. Interesting.... hmmm.

OP
J

jq3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was aware of the issue! But, it still doesn't negate the fact that not having this capability is a negative! I know some of you can't stand any negative comments about anything Apple, but I assure you it won't stop me or others from pointing out obvious issues that we don't like!

As far as what websites in paticular that I need flash for....well, my answer to that is, what Internet do you use??? Flash is all over the Net!

For what the iPad is I tell everyone who inquire about it that I love mine and it's worh a look-see. But, it's certainly not a "need". More like a "want". Let's not pretend it's perfect because Apple will never see the need to improve on a great design!

In short, stop sipping' on the Apple Koolaide!!!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was aware of the issue! But, it still doesn't negate the fact that not having this capability is a negative! I know some of you can't stand any negative comments about anything Apple, but I assure you it won't stop me or others from pointing out obvious issues that we don't like!

As far as what websites in paticular that I need flash for....well, my answer to that is, what Internet do you use??? Flash is all over the Net!

For what the iPad is I tell everyone who inquire about it that I love mine and it's worh a look-see. But, it's certainly not a "need". More like a "want". Let's not pretend it's perfect because Apple will never see the need to improve on a great design!

No one said it's perfect and no one is drinking anything.

You say you are disappointed with not having Flash because "it's all over the internet", I disagree. Of the 20 or so sites that I regularly visit, none have Flash. I do run into sites from time to time with Flash, but it's normally pretty simple to get the same information from another non-Flash site, or the site itself has a no-Flash alternative.

If you knew about the problem in advance, you should have known that it's never going to happen. There are a few decent Android tablets coming soon, and a couple Windows tablets as well. I'd say none of them will be quite as good overall as the iPad, but they should support Flash. Maybe you should sell your iPad and go buy one of those instead.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Trust me, I'm far from a apple fanboy (I own a ipod 30 classic and a ipad). Here is what I have a issue with though. People should not purchase devices that they know will not fill there needs (whether it's the lack of flash support or multitasking).

Even if a product offers to offer something in the future I don't buy products that will promise something later down the road, I buy for the feature they come "packaged with".

I can't wait for app switching features but I knew when I brought the ipad it was not available.

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a few problems to work out before deciding to buy an Ipad.

The lack of flash was one of them so I did some research before buying.

I learned that flash is too bloated and unstable to run with any kid of consistency on ANY handheld device and realized since handheld mobile devices are where computing is headed that flash is going to die soon to be replaced by something that works with these devices.

Android is having it`s own flash problems apparently Apple was wise to avoid the entire problem.

Mobile Flash Fail: Weak Android Player Proves Jobs Right

Once I realized that I had one less problem with the Ipad and eventually bought one.

Haven`t missed flash and actually didn`t like it on my PC or Mac computers because it was unstable on those as well and inconvenient to utilize from my file system as it usually needed it`s own software to run it from an HD as not many other multimedia players ran it.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if the websites use flash in such a way that it is inappropriate for mobile devices, that is not Flash at fault. So that article is not really being honest.

Make no mistake, SJ doesn't want Flash in his walled garden because you could use Apps and games without paying him. Unless I'm mistaken that is why we don't have Java either. And I am not wrong despite what the next few posters are going to say to defend Apple. ;)

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand your frustration, I am currently studying web designing and I just realized that flash is the future of new generation of sites. However that doesn't bother me much since I use the iPad as my Toshiba laptop "sidekick".:) but yeah, it does bother me at times.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand your frustration, I am currently studying web designing and I just realized that flash is the future of new generation of sites. However that doesn't bother me much since I use the iPad as my Toshiba laptop "sidekick".:) but yeah, it does bother me at times.

Don't know about that,lest stated in 2000.I believe HTML 5 is being touted as the new gen web format.

Smithy12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also hate the idea of not having flash on my Apple devices but knew this when I bought them so can't complain. As for the HTML 5 I think this will become the way forward and we will no longer complain to Apple as our devices will be complete.........ok almost

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make no mistake, SJ doesn't want Flash in his walled garden because you could use Apps and games without paying him.

We have a winner :)

The Flash tools also make it easy for developers to make apps for multiple platforms at once with ease. SJ wants developers making iOS apps first and maybe never getting around to other platforms.

Performance is a concern with flash, but that aspect is being blown out of proportion as a cover for the real issue. My Windows Mobile had Flash Lite and it worked great for many websites with flash navigation menus and such. If an older Windows Mobile phone can have marginal performance with flash (no video), they could make some level of flash support work acceptably on the iPad. This is a business decision, not a technical issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts