What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flash Player

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please don't misunderstand. I really love my iPad 2 and think it may even be the best tech device I've ever owned. But... I had no idea of the number of sites I regularly visit that employ Flash as their video platform. I thought not having the Flash capability would be minor, but I'm finding it really limits what would otherwise be the "perfect" portable device. Bottom line, I wouldn't give back my iPad if you paid me double what I paid, but I sure wish it didn't have this very real limitation.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please don't misunderstand. I really love my iPad 2 and think it may even be the best tech device I've ever owned. But... I had no idea of the number of sites I regularly visit and that employ Flash as their video platform. I thought not having the Flash capability would be minor, but I'm finding it really limits what would otherwise be the "perfect" portable device. Bottom line, I wouldn't give back my iPad if you paid me double what I paid, but I sure wish it didn't have this very real limitation.

There are several third party web browsers out there that 'sort of' support Flash - for example, iSwifter. They typically do this by hosting the Flash content on their remote server. For some applications this can work. There's a free 'try before you buy' version of iSwifter, so you can see if it works for you.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread will self destruct in 10, 9, 8 .....

I just love this Forum - what a sense of humour.

Tim
ps just in case the original poster isn't aware the topic of Flash has been debated ad naseum on this Forum - no offence to you - but it's become almost a joke now when someone asks a Flash question. We have a great sense of humour at iPad Forums, so join in and enjoy yourself. You'll soon get to know the guys here who like to wind everyone up....

OP
C

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ChuckinSC said:
Please don't misunderstand. I really love my iPad 2 and think it may even be the best tech device I've ever owned. But... I had no idea of the number of sites I regularly visit that employ Flash as their video platform. I thought not having the Flash capability would be minor, but I'm finding it really limits what would otherwise be the "perfect" portable device. Bottom line, I wouldn't give back my iPad if you paid me double what I paid, but I sure wish it didn't have this very real limitation.

Please accept my apology. I read further down that new posts concerning Flash aren't welcomed.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where's the horse picture?
We demand the obligatory illustrations!

Don't worry we can't expect new members to read all thats gone before in these forums :)
Nobody deserves that........

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ChuckinSC said:

Please accept my apology. I read further down that new posts concerning Flash aren't welcomed.

Please - please - don't apologise - it wasn't meant 'that way' - it's a sort of 'in joke'. Comments concerning Flash - in fact any comments (unless you criticise the moderators :) - just joking) are always welcome. We all have a wicked sense of humour. Please 'come on in' and enjoy the atmosphere. We're all iPad enthusiasts and we enjoy all things iPad. So, no need, you've passed the 'initiation test' - you're now a fully signed up member of iPad Forums - in fact, come to think of it, if you *hadn't* mentioned Flash we'd be suspicious....

Tim

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*Whack the NOOB!*

Hopefully we'll catch someone else with this, but on any new forum it's often a good idea to lurk and check each subform. Then use the site search and see if a topic you want to talk about has already been covered.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is another app called PUFFIN

I use this one for websites that use flash software. Whenever I launch into a website that has flash a white window with the f(lash) symbol appears in the center. Press that and the data will appear. Puffin works pretty good if the information is an image but if it is a video, there is a lag between what you see and what you hear.

After using Puffin for about a week now, I have realized that one of the things I missed, in a non-Flash website, are the pop up flash based advertisements. Sometimes they pop up right over the article I'm reading and if I don't press the 'x' just right, the ad stays up and the article beneath it moves to the next page. Annoying.

To the original OP, welcome to the forum. There is a way to get around those flash limitations, Puffin is one app, iSwifter is another (I don't use iSwifter so I can't tell you how it functions).

Most reactions

Latest posts