What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

jshollax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to the Oregon Coast for the weekend. Laying in bed I decided to watch the last episode of FlashForward. No WiFi Around. 3g all the way. If you wana sell it in a few months and buy the latest and greatest, I think the 3g will be easier to sell.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to the Oregon Coast for the weekend. Laying in bed I decided to watch the last episode of FlashForward. No WiFi Around. 3g all the way. If you wana sell it in a few months and buy the latest and greatest, I think the 3g will be easier to sell.

I agree. The only change we are gonna see for the iPad, is a price drop in 6-8 months by 50-100$ per model. Then the new 2G model will come out a few months later, at the same price as the reduced 1G, making it near impossible getting any $$$ out of your used 1G. :D

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree. The only change we are gonna see for the iPad, is a price drop in 6-8 months by 50-100$ per model. Then the new 2G model will come out a few months later, at the same price as the reduced 1G, making it near impossible getting any $$$ out of your used 1G. :D

Yea buying tech for it's resale value is not a good investment in the long term.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yea buying tech for it's resale value is not a good investment in the long term.

But buying a 3G now... insures that you will get more $$$ back, albeit about $200-$275, than just going with a wifi model tho.....??.....

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree. but right now looks good!

But I don't want to re-order and wait 3 more weeks again. Mine should be in tomorrow as it is....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If tech appreciated, I would be a rich man today. As is, I am hoping my Mac LC or VIC 20 will reach antique or collector item status where I can cash in.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3G with the unlimited plan. I haven't needed to use it yet but need to know that I have the ability to do so.

T

TJK

We are a two iPad family along with a couple MacBooks, so I opted for a Sprint 3/4G MiFi. IMHO, this is the way to go since it opens your option doors up. If you have a Sprint account then the unlimited MiFi is $20 additional monthly. Considering that five WiFi devices can log in simultanious I don't see anything offer better value. Some will say it's a pain to carry the MiFi around but I disagree. It's no bigger than a deck of cards and I find it pretty darn convent. And boy do I love it when hit a 4G network... It's snot fast :p

Same here; two iPads, two laptops, two iPhones. I got the Sprint Overdrive for the same reasons. On car trips I just put the Overdrive in the console and the car is a rolling WiFi hotspot. And 4G access rocks!

I just saw that Vigin Broadband is making the MiFi 3G available on a pay-as-you-go no contract plan. Buy the device for $149 and they have plans as little as $10 for access if all you need is a couple days worth here and there.

Weaser999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with 3G and like it so far.
In Canada it's more expensive (35$/month for 5 gigs) but it's a no-commitment monthly plan so if I don't like it I'll discontinue the 3 G plan.

I didn't bother with 3G... I just tether the iPad off my palm pre for free using a hacked version mobile hotspot.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are a two iPad family along with a couple MacBooks, so I opted for a Sprint 3/4G MiFi. IMHO, this is the way to go since it opens your option doors up. If you have a Sprint account then the unlimited MiFi is $20 additional monthly. Considering that five WiFi devices can log in simultanious I don't see anything offer better value. Some will say it's a pain to carry the MiFi around but I disagree. It's no bigger than a deck of cards and I find it pretty darn convent. And boy do I love it when hit a 4G network... It's snot fast :p

Same here; two iPads, two laptops, two iPhones. I got the Sprint Overdrive for the same reasons. On car trips I just put the Overdrive in the console and the car is a rolling WiFi hotspot. And 4G access rocks!

I just saw that Vigin Broadband is making the MiFi 3G available on a pay-as-you-go no contract plan. Buy the device for $149 and they have plans as little as $10 for access if all you need is a couple days worth here and there.

TJK
Isnt it $60 month with Sprint isf you dont have an account with them?

Virgin Broadband mifi sounds good..hope it works well too??!!!

Last edited:

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 gb WiFi iPad. I opted not to get the 3G version, as I am becoming more and more disenchanted with my AT&T cell service.

I bought the Sprint Overdrive 4G box, and use it with my iPad. If you're in an area that has 4G, this is a very nice option.... it's way faster than 3G.

Yes, I know it costs more for the Sprint Overdrive, but so far, it's well worth it.

Just to give you an idea how well it works, my son, grandson, and I drove from Merced to Fresno, CA on Memorial Day weekend. My son used the Overdrive all the way down to Fresno with his laptop. On the way back, my son was on his laptop, and my grandson was using my Netbook streaming a cartoon video from Cartoon Network all the way home.

Most reactions

Latest posts