What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is the question.... :-] (love the Bard)
I have a 16gb WiFi and 16gb 3G on order at my Apple store and they should be coming in there the same day this week. Question is, which will be worth more when selling for the iPad2? ...and ... do you guys really miss not having the anytime ability to connect if you have the wifi only. Also guys and gals with the wifi only, do you find on the go you use your iphone most, and when you get to a destination that has a wifi hotspot?
Also note, i wil be getting the iP4 any day now. (presently have a 3GS)

thanks for your input ....allan

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose and waited for the 3G model because I don't have a wifi network at home. Truth be told, I could have installed a router and gone WiFi only for less than the price difference between WiFi only and WiFi plus 3G, but I'm glad that I have the option to connect under most any circumstance and most anywhere.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose and waited for the 3G model because I don't have a wifi network at home. Truth be told, I could have installed a router and gone WiFi only for less than the price difference between WiFi only and WiFi plus 3G, but I'm glad that I have the option to connect under most any circumstance and most anywhere.

3G makes complete sense for you. thanks

[I do a wifi at home..gonna hook up an airport express right now in fact.]

Photo1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
wjd333.smugmug.com
I am deactivating my iPhone in favor of iPad, so 3G was a necessity for me. I have WiFi at home but I like the portability of anywhere(sort of) access.
My work issue blackberry fills phone & txt functions.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am deactivating my iPhone in favor of iPad, so 3G was a necessity for me. I have WiFi at home but I like the portability of anywhere(sort of) access.
My work issue blackberry fills phone & txt functions.

I see your reasoning on that.

still undecided - but leaning towards 3G! thx

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
the only thing not so great about 3G are the bandwidth rates, hopefully in time with more competition prices will drop in that department, but that of course is not an actual 3G issue, rather a service provider issue, so I apologize if that is off topic

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with 3G and like it so far.
In Canada it's more expensive (35$/month for 5 gigs) but it's a no-commitment monthly plan so if I don't like it I'll discontinue the 3 G plan.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with 3G and like it so far.
In Canada it's more expensive (35$/month for 5 gigs) but it's a no-commitment monthly plan so if I don't like it I'll discontinue the 3 G plan.

that is the absolute best part of the plan. I dont really need it during the winter as i have a seasonal job, an am at home during the winter mostly.

But the convenience factor has me say just bite the $120 extra bullet & get the 3G! ;-]

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might not be the smartest way to look at it, but if you're able to afford the ipad and iphone, then what is $130 to you anyways? Honestly, it's not going to kill you. Just go for it and be done with it. It's a tiny price to pay in the long term.

I have the 3g ver. and i enjoy using it on the go, everywhere. But i don't have any data plan on my phone so i guess it was easier for me to justify the extra cost.

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on your lifestyle. I am retired and with WiFi at home wouldn't use 3G. When I've travelled my hotels have had WiFi and the international extra fees would really hurt.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holly/Mayo you both have good points.

My lifestyle says.......get the 3G....just so that the months i need it its (HW) there.
Thanks guys and girls....

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are a two iPad family along with a couple MacBooks, so I opted for a Sprint 3/4G MiFi. IMHO, this is the way to go since it opens your option doors up. If you have a Sprint account then the unlimited MiFi is $20 additional monthly. Considering that five WiFi devices can log in simultanious I don't see anything offer better value. Some will say it's a pain to carry the MiFi around but I disagree. It's no bigger than a deck of cards and I find it pretty darn convent. And boy do I love it when hit a 4G network... It's snot fast :p

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are a two iPad family along with a couple MacBooks, so I opted for a Sprint 3/4G MiFi. IMHO, this is the way to go since it opens your option doors up. If you have a Sprint account then the unlimited MiFi is $20 additional monthly. Considering that five WiFi devices can log in simultanious I don't see anything offer better value. Some will say it's a pain to carry the MiFi around but I disagree. It's no bigger than a deck of cards and I find it pretty darn convent. And boy do I love it when hit a 4G network... It's snot fast :p

Capt,
Good point -- $60 tho-- oooooo - i have an iphone, so thats no good for me. My friend has sprint and he is gonna do the same thing & just get a wifi ipad.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any desire to exchange my low budget cell phone for a smart phone. As for the 3G, I have found it to be great. Anywhere I travel, I am in touch with my work and home e-mail. No matter where I go, I have internet. For example, I stayed at a hotel last weekend. Not unusual situation. In the past, with my MacBook and my wife's iBook, we would either choose a hotel based on free wifi, or pay additional for it. Not only do I save on that, but it has kept me connected during power failures, and numerous areas I go to that it is not convenient to locate a wifi hotspot.

Most reactions

Latest posts