What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

Universal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Droid to tether, and it works great, so no need for 3G on my end.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I did not 'have' to buy 2 iPads (wife getting one too) I would have bought a 32gb 3G version, strictly for resale value over just the WiFi version.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I did not 'have' to buy 2 iPads (wife getting one too) I would have bought a 32gb 3G version, strictly for resale value over just the WiFi version.

Y
That is thing that keeps making me wanna get the 3G....on CL the 16g 3G's are going for not less than $600.......which i cant understand why... (unless it is international or somethin').

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Worst part about 3G is you're on the nation's crappiest 3G network. In NYC obviously you will be fine. But come where I live...no where in 1.5 hours of me has a 3G signal through ATT...and it's not like I live in a one stoplight town...there are about 50k people that live here.

My Verizon has full 3G coverage of course here...so I use my phone to connect through WiFi....for FREE...and it's UNLIMITED. Unlike ATT.

Yup, what he said. Nice not having to pay twice for data if you already have a smart phone with a data plan.

JK
Now that we are going to get back 'on topic'....you have a point about paying twice-- I do have an iphone after all. I was all set to get a 3G-- back to the drawing board!.... ;-]

Sorry about the threadjack. :eek:

Seriously, if you can find a way to tether (believe the Jailbreak is already out for the iPhone), that's a great way to save the money. It's not as much that I want to avoid paying for something I'm getting, it's that I'm already paying for data on the phone and shouldn't matter what screen I'm watching it on. I guess principle of the matter is the best way of putting it.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it really isn't off topic. Your question is whether to get the 3G or not...the points about the network coverage and free WiFi hotspot through a phone is a very valid point against getting one.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Y
That is thing that keeps making me wanna get the 3G....on CL the 16g 3G's are going for not less than $600.......which i cant understand why... (unless it is international or somethin').

It's all about the marketing. Mobile Hotspot devices are coming from more and more cell companies at comparable rates. The good thing about doing this over 3G is that you can use whatever service has the best reception in your area rather than having to settle. Beyond that, you would have the hotspot to use with your laptop computer if it was absolutely necessary. Yes, it's one more small item to carry, but I would say that's well worth the tradeoff.

Market that option on resale and state things directly like that and you'll be able to max out your value. ;)

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Y

It's all about the marketing. Mobile Hotspot devices are coming from more and more cell companies at comparable rates. The good thing about doing this over 3G is that you can use whatever service has the best reception in your area rather than having to settle. Beyond that, you would have the hotspot to use with your laptop computer if it was absolutely necessary. Yes, it's one more small item to carry, but I would say that's well worth the tradeoff.

Market that option on resale and state things directly like that and you'll be able to max out your value. ;)

JK
Use my ipad as a hot spot for my laptop--hmmmm- never thought about that one.thx!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my launch day 3G. It has already been invaluable to me on many occasions particularly during power outages (common in Miami during rainy/hurricane season) and especially when the static discharge from a rogue lightening strike fried my wireless router (just the router mind you, weird). Having uninterrupted internet access is crucial for me since a work out of my home managing my finances. Fortunately I live in an area where ATT signal is very strong and reasonably fast. I would recommend the 3G for anyone living in any area prone to natural disasters. It's a great addition to any emergency kit. I know that I could probably get away with doing this from my smartphone but the combination of screen size convenience and battery life just doesn't exist in the smartphone world yet.
I put my cable modem and router on a separate UPS battery backup. It might not save you from a direct lightning strike, but if the power goes out I still have wifi for probably 10-12 hours.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Y

You should check out eBay completed listings. They are selling 200-300 over Apple's price. I guess people are wiling to spend more so not to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get one.

for example:

Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G - eBay (item 200482542879 end time Jun-16-10 20:00:08 PDT)

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I love my launch day 3G. It has already been invaluable to me on many occasions particularly during power outages (common in Miami during rainy/hurricane season) and especially when the static discharge from a rogue lightening strike fried my wireless router (just the router mind you, weird). Having uninterrupted internet access is crucial for me since a work out of my home managing my finances. Fortunately I live in an area where ATT signal is very strong and reasonably fast. I would recommend the 3G for anyone living in any area prone to natural disasters. It's a great addition to any emergency kit. I know that I could probably get away with doing this from my smartphone but the combination of screen size convenience and battery life just doesn't exist in the smartphone world yet.
I put my cable modem and router on a separate UPS battery backup. It might not save you from a direct lightning strike, but if the power goes out I still have wifi for probably 10-12 hours.

I like that idea. I need to do some shifting around on my UPS. Very cool!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well see, that's the weird part. The router, modem, desktop and monitor are all on my APC XS 1500 UPS battery backup. It wasn't a typical surge from a lightening strike. The lights didn't even flicker. Sun was out but I could hear thunder in the distance. All of a sudden a bright flash and thunder clap at the exact same time. I was on the ipad at the time and the wireless connection went out. I go in the check the router and it was dead but everything else was fine. I did some research to find the sometimes the static discharge from lightening can fry stuff far from the actual strike if the right conditions are present. It's all good though because it forced me to upgrade to the Linksys/Cisco E3000 and now my ipad speeds are as fast as my wired desktop.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Y

You should check out eBay completed listings. They are selling 200-300 over Apple's price. I guess people are wiling to spend more so not to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get one.

for example:

Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G - eBay (item 200482542879 end time Jun-16-10 20:00:08 PDT)

Wow! Insane in the membrane!!! It has to be for international ship.
Lookin more and more like 3G is the way to go, esp. for resale.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Y

for example:

Wow! Insane in the membrane!!! It has to be for international ship.
Lookin more and more like 3G is the way to go, esp. for resale.

I would have bought a 3rd one if they let me at the time, just for resale.

I am moving in 2.5 weeks, so don't want a mis-delivery if I ordered more now.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well see, that's the weird part. The router, modem, desktop and monitor are all on my APC XS 1500 UPS battery backup. It wasn't a typical surge from a lightening strike. The lights didn't even flicker. Sun was out but I could hear thunder in the distance. All of a sudden a bright flash and thunder clap at the exact same time. I was on the ipad at the time and the wireless connection went out. I go in the check the router and it was dead but everything else was fine. I did some research to find the sometimes the static discharge from lightening can fry stuff far from the actual strike if the right conditions are present. It's all good though because it forced me to upgrade to the Linksys/Cisco E3000 and now my ipad speeds are as fast as my wired desktop.

I used to have more problems with surges over the telephone lines than with power surges. I finally installed UPS on all my electronics, and got models that have phone surge connectors I have had to replace that part of all of them, but better than modems or house phones.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

YIKES!!! UPSes are good for outages, but not much can save you from a big surge like that. Luckily, those kinds of direct strikes or statc surges are very rare.

BTW the resale value we see right now will not last. In 3-6 mo, iPads will likely be in stock in most places.

Most reactions