What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any desire to exchange my low budget cell phone for a smart phone. As for the 3G, I have found it to be great. Anywhere I travel, I am in touch with my work and home e-mail. No matter where I go, I have internet. For example, I stayed at a hotel last weekend. Not unusual situation. In the past, with my MacBook and my wife's iBook, we would either choose a hotel based on free wifi, or pay additional for it. Not only do I save on that, but it has kept me connected during power failures, and numerous areas I go to that it is not convenient to locate a wifi hotspot.

SeaDog
Working on the water 5 months of the year, myself, I need the ability to have 3G and be able to 'connect'. And I too, want to not worry if the B&B my wife and I stay at, has wifi. Thanks ....thx to all.

It's 3G, for me (at least). It is the way I am gonna go now. Great site.

Last edited:

mraif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am deactivating my iPhone in favor of iPad, so 3G was a necessity for me. I have WiFi at home but I like the portability of anywhere(sort of) access.
My work issue blackberry fills phone & txt functions.

Same thing for me...my work phone is an HTC Evo, though. :)

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah get the 3G it ill have more resale value when you upgrade next year!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A-GPS is your friend.

That was a pretty big selling point for me. If you dont care about GPS and only plan to use it around the house, I wouldnt do the 3G. You'll get faster service on wifi anyway. If you want to have the iPad with you everywhere like a smartphone or want to use the GPS for navigation and maps, get 3G.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my launch day 3G. It has already been invaluable to me on many occasions particularly during power outages (common in Miami during rainy/hurricane season) and especially when the static discharge from a rogue lightening strike fried my wireless router (just the router mind you, weird). Having uninterrupted internet access is crucial for me since a work out of my home managing my finances. Fortunately I live in an area where ATT signal is very strong and reasonably fast. I would recommend the 3G for anyone living in any area prone to natural disasters. It's a great addition to any emergency kit. I know that I could probably get away with doing this from my smartphone but the combination of screen size convenience and battery life just doesn't exist in the smartphone world yet.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my launch day 3G. It has already been invaluable to me on many occasions particularly during power outages (common in Miami during rainy/hurricane season) and especially when the static discharge from a rogue lightening strike fried my wireless router (just the router mind you, weird). Having uninterrupted internet access is crucial for me since a work out of my home managing my finances. Fortunately I live in an area where ATT signal is very strong and reasonably fast. I would recommend the 3G for anyone living in any area prone to natural disasters. It's a great addition to any emergency kit. I know that I could probably get away with doing this from my smartphone but the combination of screen size convenience and battery life just doesn't exist in the smartphone world yet.

Now, Ed....that makes sense! ;-]

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worst part about 3G is you're on the nation's crappiest 3G network. In NYC obviously you will be fine. But come where I live...no where in 1.5 hours of me has a 3G signal through ATT...and it's not like I live in a one stoplight town...there are about 50k people that live here.

My Verizon has full 3G coverage of course here...so I use my phone to connect through WiFi....for FREE...and it's UNLIMITED. Unlike ATT.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Holly, I am in the same boat, retired and just installed a new wifi/router/dsl modem and it works well. I expect to use my iPad for hi qual photo album and video album. Take photos with my 5D Mk II and videos with my HF S 21, both Canons. Who knows, I may even sell a video or photo based on displayed quality. My e-mail and browser requirements are met on my desktop where I run Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS 5, and Cyberlink Power Director as my photo and video editors/stores.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Worst part about 3G is you're on the nation's crappiest 3G network. In NYC obviously you will be fine. But come where I live...no where in 1.5 hours of me has a 3G signal through ATT...and it's not like I live in a one stoplight town...there are about 50k people that live here.

My Verizon has full 3G coverage of course here...so I use my phone to connect through WiFi....for FREE...and it's UNLIMITED. Unlike ATT.

Yup, what he said. Nice not having to pay twice for data if you already have a smart phone with a data plan.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
verizon-att-3g-coverage.jpg

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holly, I am in the same boat, retired and just installed a new wifi/router/dsl modem and it works well. I expect to use my iPad for hi qual photo album and video album. Take photos with my 5D Mk II and videos with my HF S 21, both Canons. Who knows, I may even sell a video or photo based on displayed quality. My e-mail and browser requirements are met on my desktop where I run Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS 5, and Cyberlink Power Director as my photo and video editors/stores.

Mel
That is exactly what i want to do with mine....except with Nikon- stills only. I need the ipad to teach photography on location here in NYC and then review the students work on-the-spot.
3G for the net and when i am working on the boats here.

OP
B

blowabs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yup, what he said. Nice not having to pay twice for data if you already have a smart phone with a data plan.

JK
Now that we are going to get back 'on topic'....you have a point about paying twice-- I do have an iphone after all. I was all set to get a 3G-- back to the drawing board!.... ;-]

Most reactions

Latest posts