What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zipur said:
So why post this, there are new people getting iPad every day, this thread is for them. Maybe you can start an Advanced thread of your own.

Why not? Some of us spend more time on here than we should, looking for people's problems, researching them and attempting to supply answers. Sometimes, you have to wonder whether the person who asked the question ever read the answer, as there is often no feedback, so it's gratifying to know that if someone thinks this is a "great thread" we are doing some good.

A year ago I knew nothing about iPads, which is one of the reasons I joined this forum. I'm pleased to say a lot of my questions were answered and I'm now in a position to pay it forward, learning more as I go.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a tip. If you usually use the app for browsing iPF, there is no need to open it in Safari if there is something you want to do that can be easier done on the website, such as looking to see who is online.

Go to the title of any thread and touch it. The website version of iPF will then open inside the app, and you will already be logged in. When you've finished and want to go back to the app touch the top left corner of the screen and you'll be back where you started.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Why not? Some of us spend more time on here than we should, looking for people's problems, researching them and attempting to supply answers. Sometimes, you have to wonder whether the person who asked the question ever read the answer, as there is often no feedback, so it's gratifying to know that if someone thinks this is a "great thread" we are doing some good.

A year ago I knew nothing about iPads, which is one of the reasons I joined this forum. I'm pleased to say a lot of my questions were answered and I'm now in a position to pay it forward, learning more as I go.

I believe you misread Zipur's post. He was questioning the poster above him for criticizing the thread.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
I believe you misread Zipur's post. He was questioning the poster above him for criticizing the thread.

I believe I did. No offence intended to zipur. I initially didn't read criticism into the quoted post.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back to tips and Tricks,
I ran I to a guy at the mall, ouch. And He was in the food court following my same exact plan. We started talking case, screen protectors and apps. Then I asked him if he played with AirPlay .
He wasn't even aware of this feature. So it was nice to share.

image-1887066170.jpg

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
You can just power the iPad down completely every week... That clears it as well. But of course your 15 year old should have known that....

Cheers

A restart does not shut down background apps. What is present in the background task bar before shutdown will be there after a restart.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Here's a tip. If you usually use the app for browsing iPF, there is no need to open it in Safari if there is something you want to do that can be easier done on the website, such as looking to see who is online.

Go to the title of any thread and touch it. The website version of iPF will then open inside the app, and you will already be logged in. When you've finished and want to go back to the app touch the top left corner of the screen and you'll be back where you started.

And I thought I knew everything about the Ipf app! Thanks Kevin!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
A restart does not shut down background apps. What is present in the background task bar before shutdown will be there after a restart.

All apps are stopped / closed with a complete power down. Just like when you reboot a PC. You are correct however, the icons will remain in the task bar. His question however was how to close all at once.

Cheers

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
All apps are stopped / closed with a complete power down. Just like when you reboot a PC. You are correct however, the icons will remain in the task bar. His question however was how to close all at once.

Cheers

Background apps consume resources before and/or after a restart. It is not a recently used apps list as provided in windows.

Comyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
So why post this, there are new people getting iPad every day, this thread is for them. Maybe you can start an Advanced thread of your own.

Just to clear things up, I wasn't trying to criticize the thread, but going back and re-reading my post I can see how it came across that way. Sorry guys. I think it's a great resource.

Just learned about the apostrophe swipe-up trick! VERY nifty!

BMWrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleting lengthy URLs in Safari

This may be old news to some experienced users, But rather than using the "back" key to eliminate a long URL, I discovered that you can do a slow double-tap on the URL, choose "Select All" from the pop-up then "Cut". This clears the field for a new entry.☺

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Background apps consume resources before and/or after a restart. It is not a recently used apps list as provided in windows.

Correct, some context files are left (thus some RAM use) for faster recall yet the app is not "running" as I would call it. Deleting each from the task bar will remove any remaining context info.

Cheers

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I usually find that a tap in the address bar brings up the keyboard and a single tap on the upper right key with the x clears the address bar. Are you using a blue tooth keyboard?

BMWrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually find that a tap in the address bar brings up the keyboard and a single tap on the upper right key with the x clears the address bar. Are you using a blue tooth keyboard?

Thanks. That's much more efficient than my method. I was referring to the on-screen keyboard.

debbieh122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't stop with kindle you can get apps, mostly free, to read any book in any format it's a bookworms paradise

Most reactions

Latest posts