What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

italiana830

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get my Droid videos onto my ipad??

I already tried to put all of my videos from my HTC Droid phone onto the computer into a folder. But I am unable to get these videos on the ipad. Spite that I put them in the folder named my pictures....

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beautiful home screen shortcut icons for Safari

Tired of ugly home screen icons or just don't want to see them on the iPad 2?
Tip: before choosing "add to home screen", scale your page to your liking and then preview your icon by choosing "add to home screen". If you approve click add.

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
I suppose everybody knows this one but I don't mind being laughed at as the NOOB.

If you double-tap on the Home button, the bottom bit of the screen lifts up to reveal all the apps that are running. If you then hold an app down until it starts to shake a re - appears in the corner of each one and you can close it down.

miccau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I so do not have a clue.
Where are the sleep and home buttons? I have an on/off button at the top of my IPad and a round button at the bottom of the screen. (IPad I)

miccau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose everybody knows this one but I don't mind being laughed at as the NOOB.

If you double-tap on the Home button, the bottom bit of the screen lifts up to reveal all the apps that are running. If you then hold an app down until it starts to shake a re - appears in the corner of each one and you can close it down.

I'm not laughing!! I didn't know that and I guess I never close programs. I had 56 apps running. Wow. THANK YOU :D

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm not laughing!! I didn't know that and I guess I never close programs. I had 56 apps running. Wow. THANK YOU :D
It's worth clearing them out every now and then. Also, whenever you notice an app acting up a bit and not behaving quite as normal, closing it and then reopening it only takes a few seconds and almost always solves the problem.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I so do not have a clue.
Where are the sleep and home buttons? I have an on/off button at the top of my IPad and a round button at the bottom of the screen. (IPad I)
Those are the ones (the home button is the round one, used more often).

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
May I ask, I installed xbmc, now do i need xbmc on my pc and mac too to access files and how?

boriken55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hufn said:
Calibre is a free ebook converter as well. I imagine it should convert them to .epub, which work well in ibooks. I am not positive as I don't know the format, but it does work with quite a lot and it's free :)

Where can I get "Calibre"? I can not see in the Apps catalogue.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hufn said:
Calibre is a free ebook converter as well. I imagine it should convert them to .epub, which work well in ibooks. I am not positive as I don't know the format, but it does work with quite a lot and it's free :)

Where can I get "Calibre"? I can not see in the Apps catalogue.

It's free software for your PC or Mac, not your iPad. Google and you will find the site. The programmer accepts donations.

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
While I was reading this thread, I saw a post about how to get an underscore.
The only answer given was some kind of triple click which I didn't understand.
I have now read to the end and I doubt that I could find the post now or even the author of it but, and here's the tricky bit, I don't understand the problem.
On my iPad 2, when I first get the typewriter keyboard on screen to do any typing, the underscore key is where it always is, under the hyphen. The icon for it is reduced in width, otherwise it would just look like another hyphen but, an per normal, all it takes is to press and hold the Caps key and while the Caps key is down, press on the Hyphen.
Bingo!! ... You get an underscore.
That's how it works on mine, anyhow.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
5teve said:
While I was reading this thread, I saw a post about how to get an underscore.
The only answer given was some kind of triple click which I didn't understand.
I have now read to the end and I doubt that I could find the post now or even the author of it but, and here's the tricky bit, I don't understand the problem.
On my iPad 2, when I first get the typewriter keyboard on screen to do any typing, the underscore key is where it always is, under the hyphen. The icon for it is reduced in width, otherwise it would just look like another hyphen but, an per normal, all it takes is to press and hold the Caps key and while the Caps key is down, press on the Hyphen.
Bingo!! ... You get an underscore.
That's how it works on mine, anyhow.

Ignoring the fact that my screen will look significantly different from yours, the keyboard layout is still the same layout as stock.

The attached picture shows how the default keyboard appears when you start to type in spotlight for example.

There is no dash / underscore key. In order to reach it, you must press the ".?123" key, followed by the "#+=" key, to to finally reach an underscore character, hence the "triple tap" comment.

On other types of entry, such as a URL for example, the underscore is easier to reach (one click). Which keyboard layout are you describing where you have a dash and underscore available first? In what app?

Attachments

• image-2066603163.png
    image-2066603163.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 289

Most reactions

Latest posts