What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that drive you crazy about the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay ~

I think you are wrong. I don't think this will do it. But there is nothing left for me to try. :(

Wait though....Michael , , I forgot what I was gonna ask you....Oh, to get them all back TO the ipad, I have to sync for 8 days, right? LOL!

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet I am gonna have to play with itunes to get back all the apps, if I delete them all....

And for all I know ~ 8 hours was just a beginning. It could just be stuck. Then I will never get them all back?

:(

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it's easy to get them back and it won't take days. :)

In fact to make it easier you can delete them through iTunes. It really is simple.

With the iPad connected go to the Apps tab in iTunes--when the iPad device is selected. The tabs are Summary, Info, Apps, etc. You want the Apps tab. In there you will see all the apps.... if they are NOT there don't do anything. But if they are there uncheck the ones you want to install, sync, and viola they be gone. :)

To get them back simply recheck them and sync again. If iTunes starts to backup and you don't want to wait for it, click the X in the iTunes status window to stop it (where is says it is backing up).

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To get them back simply recheck them and sync again.

Michael

I understand what you say, Michael, but this ^^ is the problem. I would have to sync again and it takes 8 hours or more and then gets stuck.

What if I could never....i could just go back through the ipad and to the app store to get them....right?

Or am I just confused? :(

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No ,it doesn't take 8 hours to sync. The backup takes that along. It will take minutes to sync that is all. As I said, you cancel the backup. When I had the long backup problem I canceled the backup all the time. It only cancels the backup not the syncing of apps and whatnot. And it certainly won't re-sync the whole iPad just because you deleted some or even all apps.

You could install them from the app store on the iPad but that is much more of a chore.

This is really not that hard--trust me.

Sylsurweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, the iPad is a big iPod touch, nothing else.
I bought an iPod touch for m'y son. I found it "the screen" too small, so i bought an iPad.
It is what it is.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, the iPad is a big iPod touch, nothing else.
I bought an iPod touch for m'y son. I found it "the screen" too small, so i bought an iPad.
It is what it is.
Bienvenue, Sylvie où Sylvain!

It is a good idea to present yourself in a thread as a new user.

There are differences between an iPod Touch and an iPad. The iPad does more. But both are still computers. If your definition of a computer is that it should be built around software like the others then you are right. But if you look backwards, the old PCs and Macs did an awful less than what an iPad does with its hand tied behind its back, and they were called computers... So?

The iPad is a hybrid, period.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does the iPad do that the iPod Touch does not? I have both and I can't think of any real difference except for the screen size. The screen size means I use the iPad for things like web browsing more often, but the Touch is just as capable although less friendly.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does the iPad do that the iPod Touch does not? I have both and I can't think of any real difference except for the screen size. The screen size means I use the iPad for things like web browsing more often, but the Touch is just as capable although less friendly.

When the iOS 4.2 comes out in a few days it will add features to the iPad that will give it more functionality than the iPhone/iPod Touch. But at the moment, I agree that the iPad really is just an iPhone on steroids (minus a camera) since pretty much everything it does is the same, just in a bigger device which makes it more user-friendly. Besides that; there are apps that are specifically designed for the iPad to utilize the larger screen that really would not work well on a smaller device.

For those interested in a smaller form factor you might consider an iPod Touch or iPhone; that way you would be able to keep the apps you have that are cross-compatible (not iPad only apps).

My comments regarding the iPad vs. laptop comparison were in regard to price/performance, and what a PC user looking to switch to a tablet might expect of the iPad (since it's price is comparable to a full sized PC laptop). I don't disagree that the iPad is a totally different technology which I'm sure had higher development costs and is a much smaller form factor. This is where one needs to decide if a tablet "device" and all it's attractive features is more necessary than a full sized computer which could be bought for about the same net cost.

The price drop in the PC market has been quite amazing; as said earlier, a laptop 4 years ago was at ~$2000 for a single-core; now they are going for $650 with quad-core technology/speed. I think Apple is having a difficult time keeping their computer products at a price that is competetive with the going PC market. If it were not for the iOS devices and iPod, Apple as a company would still be struggling to exist in a PC dominated computer market.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Look over in the app store and you'll find many apps that are for iPad only.

Drawing on iPod Touch is a joke...

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Look over in the app store and you'll find many apps that are for iPad only.

Drawing on iPod Touch is a joke...

I agree there are apps that are only available for the iPad ... there are also apps with no iPad version. That doesn't equate to the iPad being able to do things the Ipod/Iphone cannot do or vice-versa. I was responding to the "iPad can do more" comment. Drawing on an Ipod Touch may be a joke but you can still do it. I agree that many things are better on the Ipad, but in pretty much every case this is because it has a bigger screen. There is nothing else in the design to distinguish it from an Ipod Touch that I can think of.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad. To me it is odd to say they are the same aside from size when that is such an important distinction.

Size matters. Especially when the display is how we interact with the device. Not just for looking, but interacting. Heck we don't control TV by touch yet look how much of a difference size matters when it comes to TVs.

I also enjoy games on both my iPhone and iPad... but even with the iPhone's retina display I much rather play on the iPad than iPhone if both are handy. The iPhone wins when out and about because it is always with me. But I consider its small screen a compromise for portability. I would never choose that small a screen for a device I mainly use at home.

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad. To me it is odd to say they are the same aside from size when that is such an important distinction.

Size matters. Especially when the display is how we interact with the device. Not just for looking, but interacting. Heck we don't control TV by touch yet look how much of a difference size matters when it comes to TVs.

I also enjoy games on both my iPhone and iPad... but even with the iPhone's retina display I much rather play on the iPad than iPhone if both are handy. The iPhone wins when out and about because it is always with me. But I consider its small screen a compromise for portability. I would never choose that small a screen for a device I mainly use at home.

Michael

I agree with you completely. The iPad is pretty much a big Ipod Touch, but that is what makes it so good. I was only speaking from a hardware / software capability point, nothing else. They pretty much have the same hardware and OS specs. The only real difference is the screen size, but the bigger screen is what makes it the device it is. Still, I have yet to find something that I can only do on the Ipad and not the Ipod Touch.

Oddly, I find the Ipod Touch much better with action games than the Ipad. I much prefer strategy games on the Ipad, but I find it too large to enjoy fast action games on.

Last edited:

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@RussW
@Tinman

The idea that the iPad is a failure in what it does is clearly not true right now - but then again there is no real competition yet (there won't be until 2012 probably).
I don't think it is taking that long. The iPhone took most of the competition by surprise. The iPad has been expected and many manufacturers have had a plan brewing for awhile. HP is already preparing several WebOS devices for 2011. Google will have many new Android tablet partners in a few months, and ChromeOS is set to release very soon.

I don't think Apple will have the entire market to itself for another year by any means. The cheap ripoffs are about to give way to some serious manufacturers with deep pockets and a desire to not let Apple have the playing field to itself.

And of course, we win. Competition is very good for the consumer with new tech.

I certainly hope so! I mean it's actually sad that this is the nicest piece of hardware that I've ever owned, but I can't wait to get rid of it so I can move outside apple's infuriating "Walled Garden". I'd actually love it if I could run another OS on it, that's how much I like the hardware, but the software is simply not up to scratch by my standards.

More competition needed ASAP!

desirous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. Great forum.

I had been thinking about getting an iPad for a while, but mainly as book reader/ photo viewer.
Then, guess what - I won one. 16Gb, wifi + 3G. And I have to say, I love it. it's a really nice bit of kit and it's become my 'go to' device.

What I hate -

* iTunes - I stopped using it years ago I so passionately hated it
* lack of flash - yes most of the web works for me, but I subscribe to bunch of podcasts and many of these have embedded videos that require flash. Even if I subscribe to them using iTunes (groan) I can't view them on the iPad. I also subscribe to several online magazines. Same deal, I can't view all content.
* lack of file management - it's just the way I work and I want it.

The long and the short of it - love the device hate the operating system. I'm waiting for the android tablet. I have an android phone and it is head and shoulders above the iPad, except for it's screen size.

Pity though. I really like the iPad itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions