What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that drive you crazy about the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well its not really something about the iPad itself that drives me crazy, but its the fact the docking cable that came with my iPad has a much smaller connector and this makes it difficult to grab hold of since I keep my iPad in the case all the time. Even my last iPod Touch came with the larger connector on the docking cable!

I mean c'mon Steve! How much money can you be saving by using the smaller connector???

ipad55.jpg
Hmmm, I have different wires too. But the iPod's, the bigger one has side locks which the iPad's hasn't. Might explain a little about the size difference but maybe not quite.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipod Touch (2G) also came with the shorter connector. I think the crappy shorter version leaves a lot to be desired, but I recall that Apple went to the version without retaining clips because people were damaging their dock connectors by trying to yank the cable out without releasing the clips first.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are the things that drive you crazy about this mostly magical device?

You pretty much nailed it - iTunes. Right now I'm synching, and I'll have to do it TWICE. First, it will copy new data from my iPad then it will delete that data, then I'll hvae to sync again to put the data back on the iPad. How magical.

Last edited:

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Things that drive me crazy about the iPad?

1. This site, a message board dedicated to iPad, is difficult to browse with an iPad. Small page numbers, text input boxes that don't scroll, you have pinch and zoom to accomplish routine tasks. Ridiculous.

2. Every time someone asks to see my iPad, my iPad is either embarrassingly slow, doesn't do what it's supposed to do or somehow manages to make an ass out of its owner. "yeah I can see why you paid $600 (€ 440) for it."

3. Because of its lack of basic options (open file system or the ability to upload) the iPad is nothing more than luxury gadget. I could sell my iPad tomorrow and nothing changes. In fact, everything is that much easier on my laptop.

4. The OS is outdated. Boring rows of apps, settings that take multiple steps, can't have two windows open simultaneously.

Regarding point 4 (which also kinda links with your points 3 and 2) I never thought of that but in a way you're right.

The fact is that iOS is a pretty new OS on a "computing type device" but in most ways its hugely backwards compared to what PC operating systems can do these days. An on phones, its been around for around what - 4 years? That's hardly cutting edge.

I had a flash of recognition when you spoke about boring rows of apps. Its Windows 3.1 all over again. Rows of apps, limited settings, no multitasking (no real multitasking even on 4.2)...

Sure its nice and simple which attracts the simplisitc crowd who buy the device because it "created a need" for them. Actually if the iPad created the need then there was no need at all, because anything it does, other devices have done for a long time and better. The iPad just does it comfortably.

Now, I do think that doing things comfortably is important - I like surfing from the sofa or an airport lounge with my iPad and I'd hate to go back to a laptop form factor, but once the market heats up and real competitors come out I can see myself upgrading in a hurry.

MzTeaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad, not as a laptop replacement, but more of an electronic folder. I knew it needed to be attached to my computer/laptop for file inserts outside of emailing stuff to save to the ipad.

So far I have been happy with it...even without USB support. What I would like to see:

- Recognition of portable devices via USB or even a powered USB port which I saw demonstrated on another website. I want to be able to use a portable scanner for receipts.

- Form support for PDFs. I work with interactive forms and would love to be able to take "notes" on those forms with my iPad.

Last edited:

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At it's price it should be a PC replacement device. Most people don't expect to get an oversized iPhone for 5-900 bucks.
How exactly do you know what most people expected? You are speaking for yourself, and no one else.

Two things contradict your assertion: one sales of the iPad were outstanding. They did not get returned en masse either. And, two, at least one survey indicated a VERY high satisfaction rate for iPad buyers.

Anecdotally, no one I know expected their iPad to be a laptop or PC replacement. It is what it is.

Michael

I say this because the way it's marketed; as a portable PC. Before I checked into the device I thought it was capable of everything a PC could do, until I started looking at critical reviews of it. In those reviews; many people stated that they returned theirs because of the limitations.

Apple devices have always sold into a mostly 'closed' market of Apple product fans. Now that they are enjoying a wave of popularity and increased apple device users (iPod, iPhone) in addition to the loyal Mac users; their new device is going to sell at a high rate to those Apple product owners who want the newest gadget out there. I don't see much difference between the demand for the iPad vs the latest iPhone. The iPad is attempting to bridge the gap between PC laptop buyers and their own market of Apple computer/device users. The coolness factor is there; but the functionality is not, and the price is incredibly high for a device that is not a replacement to a Laptop PC which could be bought for about the same price (with full keyboard, lots of I/O connectivity, much larger screen, faster, fully capable for document handling and web browsing, etc). That's what makes the iPad an over-priced cool 'fun/toy' device in comparison to a laptop PC, or even the new Macbook Air that was just released.

But don't get me wrong; I think it's a great product. I am in the somewhat unique position to be able to have the full use of one for free; so I have no investment in the device as an 'owner'. This gives me the ability to be critical about it while getting to utilize the device for what it's capable of and not be terribly disappointed by what it is not capable of.

If I had bought one expecting it to do what my laptop PC can (without getting to use it first); it would probably go back to the store. Sadly, the intended use of this device was to be able to use it as a hand-held PC for web research; and portable access to websites that run flash based content. Unfortunately the iPad can do neither; rendering them much less useful than originally expected (the buyer did not do enough research on them).

Having ownership-like access to one does make me want to buy one for myself but for what it does it's too expensive. I might consider buying a used one at some point, but for now it's not necessary since I have the use of one without buying anything but the apps.

I have returned to the PC for writing on this forum because it is too difficult to use the screen keyboard to type anything more than a google search or a web address. That's coming from someone who can touch type without looking at the keyboard or hunt/peck style typing. I need to be able to place my fingers onto the home row in order to type quickly; which you can't do with the screen keyboard. I'll consider getting a bluetooth keyboard at some point so typing will be faster on the iPad

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At it's price it should be a PC replacement device. Most people don't expect to get an oversized iPhone for 5-900 bucks.
How exactly do you know what most people expected? You are speaking for yourself, and no one else.

Two things contradict your assertion: one sales of the iPad were outstanding. They did not get returned en masse either. And, two, at least one survey indicated a VERY high satisfaction rate for iPad buyers.

Anecdotally, no one I know expected their iPad to be a laptop or PC replacement. It is what it is.

Michael

I say this because the way it's marketed; as a portable PC. Before I checked into the device I thought it was capable of everything a PC could do, until I started looking at critical reviews of it. In those reviews; many people stated that they returned theirs because of the limitations.
I understand what you are saying.... But don't get the leap from reading a few reviews where someone allegedly returned an iPad, and how it was marketed (I never got the impression it was a laptop replacement), to most people being dissatisfied because it is an over-sized iPhone that cost too much. Surely you realize you don't really know what most people think. I hope so anyway.

As far as price complaints.... The Samsung Galaxy tab is going to be about the same price... and it's smaller. It has a few things the iPad does not, but in no way is a laptop replacement either. (I happen to be interested in it because sometimes my iPad just feels a bit too large and unwieldy--I might actually prefer a 7" tablet.)

In any case in this arena this is the price you pay for admission. Of course it will come down. But right now it is what it is. If the price breakdown that I have seen, to build iPads, is correct Apple is not making a ton of profit on these things.

This is coming from someone who curses at Macs for things like not allowing easy window resizing or maximizing. I'm not a Mac or Apple zealot by any stretch. In fact I'm probably gonna catch flack for the window resize thing. ;)

Michael

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@RussW
@Tinman

I actually think there are valid points on both sides of the argument.

The idea that the iPad is a failure in what it does is clearly not true right now - but then again there is no real competition yet (there won't be until 2012 probably). Compared to the other tablets out there, its the best and will 'remain so for a while.

On the other hand, the idea that it is not a laptop replacement device is also clearly wrong. I would cite the fact that it's heavily cannibalizing netbook and low-end laptop sales as clear evidence. But more so, for any of us to say that people bought it for this or that reason is just crazy. People buy complex products for a lot of reasons and these reasons balance out against price, features etc to reach a purchasing decision.

Lots of people use their laptop/netbook to surf and do email (which they can do on an iPad) but they also spend some % of their time, writing text, editing photos, writing a blog, posting on forums, listening to music or watching videos, sharing files, doing spreadsheets or presentations, you name it. Unless you are God and know the exact need of each one of those users for each of those things, you can't say people do or don't buy it as a laptop replacement. They buy it for a lot of reasons.

As for the lack of returns, well that's also normal - the product was not falsely marketed, everyone had a chance to try it out, and reviews told us all what it could and could not do.

E.g. I bought mine fully aware of the limitations, because I didn't want to wait for other tablets which will mature in 2011-12. It fit my overly mobile lifestyle and I wanted one now. Does it do what I wish or need it to do? No. Does it do what it promises? Mostly yes, and although it does it awkwardly (iTunes) it is a first generation device. In a year will trade it for something better. Until then it's the best there is.

Oh, and one thing about pricing - price is no guide of the purpose of the device. A top quality Tablet PC from 2007 cost $2000. That doesn't mean it was meant as a replacement for a Quad Core desktop PC. It just means it was an exotic piece of hardware with a high quality factor. The quality of the iPad hardware is so far beyond any other IT product right now, that the price frankly is a steal.

a.don.is

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
adonistech.wordpress.com
I agree at this stage, the iPad is more of a luxury "addition" to your computing system, rather than a replacement or core component.

That said, I find myself using my laptop less and less as I find ways to do what I need to on the iPad. Its just so freaking convenient. I'll deal with acceptable "workarounds" to get the instant on, portability, and battery life.

a.don.is

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@RussW
@Tinman

The idea that the iPad is a failure in what it does is clearly not true right now - but then again there is no real competition yet (there won't be until 2012 probably).
I don't think it is taking that long. The iPhone took most of the competition by surprise. The iPad has been expected and many manufacturers have had a plan brewing for awhile. HP is already preparing several WebOS devices for 2011. Google will have many new Android tablet partners in a few months, and ChromeOS is set to release very soon.

I don't think Apple will have the entire market to itself for another year by any means. The cheap ripoffs are about to give way to some serious manufacturers with deep pockets and a desire to not let Apple have the playing field to itself.

And of course, we win. Competition is very good for the consumer with new tech.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one.

Takes 8 hours to sync/backup my ipad. SICK OF IT. I deleted all prior back ups ~ thought that would work. Hell No. Just got home and it was still on step 1. Started at 8am.

I googled this and apparently I am not alone ~ I really don't mind, per se', but I wonder how this will effect my updating the new OS....

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should see a drastic improvement in backup speed on 4.2.

But in the meantime try to think of what apps you installed right before backups starting taking forever. Deleting those apps till you find the one causing the slow backup might help till you get 4.2. And you want a good backup before installing 4.2.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, I have 24 apps.

24. You think it is an app problem? I should delete them all then. I can get them back, right?
Yes you can easily get the apps back. They will still be in iTunes. All you have to do is go to the Applications tab when your iPad is connected and check the ones you want to reinstall. Easy as pie. :)

And, yes, I think this will clear up the slow backup problem. :)

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions