What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thick Black Line!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libretto2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2016-05-11 18.48.31.jpg
Greetings all, I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. Tonight my wife's Ipad mini developed a thick black line across the screen with multiple coloured lines inside. I've done a hard reboot and its still the same. Methinks the worst has happened and the screen is now kaput!!! Can anyone confirm or come up with an answer please??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the black line remain stationary when you rotate to landscape mode? If so, you likely have a failed screen and possible issues on the motherboard. The Genius Bar at an Apple Store can run a diagnostic to confirm this. If this is the original iPad mini from 2012 it may be better to upgrade to a newer iPad rather than pay the cost of any necessary repairs.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That looks like compression damage to the lcd , likely on the bottom near the home button. Or it could be a loose cable going from the lcd to the logic board.

Try the following:
1.Hard reset by holding the home and power button for 10 seconds.

2. If that doesn't work , give the iPad a good solid smack on the back the same side as the volume buttons but towards the bottom.

3. Apply some pressure to the screen, near the home button. Does anything change?

The odds are likely that the lcd needs to be replaced. That is either a mini 1or 2 ( I'm guessing 2). A good third party repair shop should only charge $150 or so to replace it.

If you still have warranty or apple care, take it to the Apple Store. Otherwise, they will just tell you to buy a new one so don't bother.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with an older iphone some time back. It turned out to be from the magnetic closure on the cheap knock off case I has it in. Through the case away and the problem never came back. May not be relative but thought it worth sharing

OP
L

Libretto2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks folks, to all your reply's, the black bar stays where it is when you rotate it, already done the hard reset and given it a whack, bent it, pressed it a few times, still the same, its not in a case so its not a magnet issue, one thing I did try was connect via air play to my Apple TV and it was ok, so I'm more or less sure its a screen problem and not a processor fault. So thanks to everyone for all your suggestions, will treat her to a new one, on our anniversary;)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more thought. Does the touchscreen still work in the areas where the screen is black? If so, when you connect via AirPlay to your Apple TV you can connect to iTunes on your computer to create a backup of the iPad without having any problems entering passwords and such on the iPad, even in the areas where the iPad screen is black; just watch the TV screen for guidance. This backup could be used to set up her new iPad.

OP
L

Libretto2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thought. Does the touchscreen still work in the areas where the screen is black? If so, when you connect via AirPlay to your Apple TV you can connect to iTunes on your computer to create a backup of the iPad without having any problems entering passwords and such on the iPad, even in the areas where the iPad screen is black; just watch the TV screen for guidance. This backup could be used to set up her new iPad.
Yes it does, good thinking, will save a lot of work in the future. Thanks for that.

Reaction score
That looks like compression damage to the lcd , likely on the bottom near the home button. Or it could be a loose cable going from the lcd to the logic board.

Try the following:
1.Hard reset by holding the home and power button for 10 seconds.

2. If that doesn't work , give the iPad a good solid smack on the back the same side as the volume buttons but towards the bottom.

3. Apply some pressure to the screen, near the home button. Does anything change?

The odds are likely that the lcd needs to be replaced. That is either a mini 1or 2 ( I'm guessing 2). A good third party repair shop should only charge $150 or so to replace it.

If you still have warranty or apple care, take it to the Apple Store. Otherwise, they will just tell you to buy a new one so don't bother.
If the line changes when I smacked or press on the screen is it the connection problem?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the line changes when I smacked or press on the screen is it the connection problem?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You're responding to a 3+ year old thread that will likely not be looked at closely, if at all. If you have a similar problem, please post a new thread on an appropriate forum; also, leave information on your device, i.e. iPad model, iOS installed, and detailed description of the issue(s) - post a pic, if able. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts