What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad mini backlight repair help

pittstang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all! New to this forum. Sorry for the long post.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a company to repair my ipad. Here's the story:

I went to use my ipad mini yesterday, which had about 97% battery and had been powered off. I went to turn it on, saw the apple logo come on the screen for a second, then screen went black. Tried it again, this time nothing. Plugged it in, tried to turn on - nothing. Attepted to troubleshoot after research - restore by holding the power and home button, tried connecting to itunes - still nothing on screen. Via itunes, at least ipad was being recognized, but screen still black. This ipad had been working good since purchase in January of 2013. Never dropped, never got wet - always in a protective case. Real headscratcher!

So, my wife took it to the Apple Store. With a flashlight aimed at the sceen, was able to see that the ipad was working - but you could hardly see anything. It was determined that the backlight was the problem. Not ever having an issue with an apple product, we didn't know what our options would be. Since this was purchased over a year ago and we didn't purchase an extended service plan - we are SOL. Apple store "Genius" would sell us a refurb. for $219 with a 90 day warranty and no option for extended service. Wife and I decided to other options.

So, has anyone had this happen to them? Are there any reputable service places out there that I can send this to? I've done an internet search for "Ipad Repair" and there's just sooooo many places - I have no idea who's good and who's not. Anyone know the potential cost. Also, I really can't find a place that offers "Backlight" replacement. I see alot of screen and LCD fixes, but no backlight repair.

There's no way I'm going to try and fix this myself. Electronics and I don't get along, unless a hammer is involved.

Please help. Any info. is appreciated.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts