What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing and auto-rebooting query

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For a while now my iPad 3 under iOS v9.3.2 (13F69) has periodically, and with no discernible pattern, frozen for upwards of a minute before "releasing" itself.

This past few days, it has developed the additional habit of automatically rebooting itself. When it does this, the Apple screen can stay visible for upwards of 5 to 10 minutes and, when I eventually get the passcode screen, that itself can often be frozen. if it is, I can enter some numerals, but then it freezes, the screen goes black then reappears. Entering the passcode again can either allow me in or it repeats the "partial number freeze and black screen routine". A war of attrition then breaks out, with me entering the code a few times until the iPad surrenders and I can get back in.

Whether the Apple screen indicates that the iPad is merely rebooting (albeit very slowly) or doing a self-induced hard reset I cannot tell.

Apps open 24/7 are The Times & Sunday Times, Metro, Calendar and Mail with Tunein Radio also being open for much of the time, especially overnight. Whether those offer a clue or an explanation I know not.

I run with Freedome's VPN live all the time, partly for security and partly because I need "to be in Ireland" from time to time and access their RTE service which is unavailable in the UK for some programmes.

Today, in a possibly unrelated event, the iPad reported that there had been too many attempts to access my iCloud account and I was required to unlock it by entering my trusted telephone number and freeing the account via my iMac.

In the iMac world, I have heard that fully backing up and restoring the HD can cure a number of ills and on my iMac, i can also reinstall the OS (currently 10.11.5) which again can clear any niggling OSX problems but I do not know whether the same applies to iPads.

I have from time to time rebooted and done hard resets so am now at a loss as to what is happening, why it is happening and what I can do about it so any advice and/or explanation would be very much appreciated.

In addition coupled with this morning's Apple id change, should I be worried about anything from a security point of view?

Thanks in advance!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could possibly be a failing touchscreen, a loose connector inside the iPad, or something wrong on the motherboard. a diagnostic would have to be done to pin down the cause. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to make a Genius Bar appointment?

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, scifan57.

I have two Apple Stores nearby so I will book in with one or other of those and get it checked.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, it's been a while as getting an appointment with a Genius that also fits in with my erratic and unpredictable availability isn't easy - but we did it yesterday!

The most affable and helpful Genius can find no hardware faults (apart from the battery not being as young and athletic as it once was) and could see no obvious software glitches, although he could see a number of "panics" in the log. He suggested two possible solutions and I shall try them in order and report back in due course.

However, I thought that I would post progress in case the same is happening to anyone else.

1) Ensure that all apps and iOS are fully up to date;

2) Fully back-up the iPad to my iMac via iTunes;

3) On the iPad go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings;

4) Restore the iPad from the iMac.

If that doesn't work (it may possibly "restore" the glitch) then repeat steps 1) to 3) but only restore all the apps individually from App Store/iCloud and not from the iMac's back-up

That would, of course, take much more effort and time, but it would avoid restoring anything which was suspect from the backup.

Any comments or observations, etc, mon tres bon amis?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you've got the right handle on how to discover exactly what is causing your problem. If part of the backup is corrupted, your method is the best way to find out where the problem lies.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, an update - and a new problem which may not be appropriate on this thread but, as it is a consequence of my troubleshooting, I'll air it here first.

I did a full back-up to the iPad and then carried our steps 1 to 4 above.

However, after the Restore there was a "top error" stating "Some of the apps in your iTunes Library were not installed on the iPad **** because one or more errors occurred" and this is followed by just over 60 apps which are reported as "The app *** was not installed on the iPad *** because the app could not be found."

Why not, surely they were backed up and they were certainly there before - how can I get them back?

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And, somewhat oddly, now l look, the background colour of all the "app groups" and the right hand end of the Dock are all blue!

I can't remember what colour they were but it wasn't blue.

Edit: And the security is now only the four digit Passcode and not the longer security code.

I'm doing another erase and restore in case something happened during the process which caused the incorrect recovery position.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts