What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Kindle, Cheaper, Lighter, Free 3G!

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now this is more like it, wifi and free 3 G, don't ask me how they do it..

It says battery can last for 1 month without wifi or 3G on...!

Can apple compete?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ref=amb_link_353643162_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0SQ45AVXV8G5W3Y6NEF3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1272467462&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation: Kindle Store[/ame]

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its a completely different device from the iPad. Its probably the best e-reader on the market, whereas the iPad is a large iPod Touch that happens to have an e-reader capability.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I said "could Apple compete"

I was referring to the 3G..

And I know Apple would no way in the world compete, Apple would never offer free 3G..

But I still love the iPad better, they are two different things.. But for the money and the fact that it offers free wifi and 3G it's quite the bargain!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well don't forget their "free" 3G is only for purchasing ebooks. It doesn't allow you to get online...you have to pay extra for that.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Well don't forget their "free" 3G is only for purchasing ebooks. It doesn't allow you to get online...you have to pay extra for that.

No, it allows you to get online. No extra fees. They just have such a bad browser, and an eink screen, which is not designed for modern, moving web pages. Some mobile sites work ok on the browser, but it is not fun. The new one is supposed to have a better browser. But the last two have had horrible browsers.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No, it allows you to get online. No extra fees. They just have such a bad browser, and an eink screen, which is not designed for modern, moving web pages. Some mobile sites work ok on the browser, but it is not fun. The new one is supposed to have a better browser. But the last two have had horrible browsers.

That's new, guess they had to allow it to do more than just buy books to stay in the market.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Kindle has always had free 3G and a basic browser. Until the new kindle that is coming out at the end of the month, there really has not been a change to the browser. So, not really new.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle has always had free 3G and a basic browser. Until the new kindle that is coming out at the end of the month, there really has not been a change to the browser. So, not really new.

Agreed. I had a Kindle - always free 3G but the browser was crap.

Comparing an iPad to a Kindle is loke comparing an apple to a walnut.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Kindle and an iPad ..I like reading on the Kindle better. As a dedicated ereader it tops the list. I read constantly, so it's worth it for me.

Love my iPad too mainly for media, Internet and games.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the kindle data plan cannot be beat, and the new Kindle browser is based on webkit so it is leaps and bounds better. But it is eInk, meaning no color or video.

Around our house we have several original Kindles, a Kindle 2, a Kindle DX (mine) and my wife is about to get the Kindle 3. One price, unlimited 3G. But you cannot do the kinds of things the iPad does on any Kindle. You can however browse the web and that has been true with the first Kindle. People who laughed at the original Kindle prices did not understand that feature.

AT&T would implode if they tried to offer iPad 3G service bandwidth for a fixed price. That or the iPad would cost several thousand Dollars.

bookoffers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are Kindle that uses Opera browser.
But we all know that browsing through Ebook is always be a problem.

So see ya all on the other thread.

Most reactions

Latest posts