What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Launches A Smaller, Lighter and Faster new Kindle

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Amazon has today announced new versions of its Kindle e-Reader, including a Wi-Fi-only model which is priced at a highly competitive $139.00. The new Kindle can be pre-ordered in advance of its August 27th launch date, when it will be available to purchase in 140 countries and 30 territories.

Commentators can't seem to make up their minds as to what this new Kindle means exactly for the iPad. Is Amazon hoping it will hold off the iPad threat a little longer with the cheaper, lighter device, or is it repositioning the Kindle as a reader that can be used alongside the iPad?

SeekingAlpha.com comes up with a reasonable argument for its theory that Amazon is hoping to get iPad owners to buy the new Kindle, simply because, as it uses e-ink technology rather than the iPad's backlit screen, it's much, much easier to use in direct sunlight than the iPad. SeekingAlpha says that iPad owners may well be tempted by such a device, especially if they're already familiar with, and a fan of, Amazon's Kindle iPad app.

Source: Amazon, SeekingAlpha.com

Pluto5680

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like iPad better for books than Kindle

I have both an old Kindle and iPad. Kindle is good for quick downloading, and reading in bright light. But, books with photos or graphics, are very slow to turn the page. The ipad, is great to read in bed with no lights, or a dim room, handles graphics and photographs beautifully, and turning the page is fast. Holding the Kindle is also a problem, too easy to hit a button. Although lighter than the iPad, I now read all of my books on the iPad. You can easily pick the background, brightness, etc. All books still purchased on my Kindle account.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have waited. My wife and I have a ipad each,she has been using the kindle which is a year old,she talked me into buying a kindle three weeks ago and I must admit I like it better than my Ipad,but who knows,time will tell.

Al.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gee Al, you bought 2 iPads AND a Kindle in the last few weeks... If you are adopting, I'm available!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont know that Amazon sees the iPad as competition. Sure, they would like to sell you the hardware reader, but the reader is just a way to get you to buy books, and they can sell you books on your iPad too. The kindle is not really anything like an iPad. Its a dedicated reader only - it will appeal to different people.

naberhaus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle vs. iPad

The new Kindle does look intriguing for an ebook reader....except....

I own an original Kindle, two Kindle 2's, and an iPad. My wife used the original Kindle and really liked it. It had a screen issue and had to be replaced under warranty. When it came out, I got my wife a Kindle 2 and she liked it. I liked it enough to get me one. Her Kindle 2 had screen issues and had to be replaced under warranty. I bought an iPad not too long ago, just before the AT&T 3G unlimited plan went away. I switched all my reading to my iPad. Her replacement Kindle 2 just developed screen problems earlier this month and Amazon wanted $89+ for repair. I told them no way! This is the 3rd time I have had a problem and tell Amazon that they have product issues! I switched everything over to my Kindle 2, which I abandoned when I received my iPad. Guess what? That Kindle 2 is having screen issues, it is almost completely unreadable. I called and they said it is out of warranty...I told them I would not buy their garbage again! That is 4 physical Kindles and 4 problems! Very poor hardware!!

I just ordered my wife a Sony Daily Reader to use until a "mini"-iPad comes our or some other multi-function device smaller and lighter than the current iPad.

I am currently taking all of my Kindle ebooks and converting them into a usable form for the Sony for my wife. I am using some of them on my iPad with the Kindle app, but may use them in a different form on the iPad.

Dan Diego

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SeekingAlpha.com comes up with a reasonable argument for its theory that Amazon is hoping to get iPad owners to buy the new Kindle, simply because, as it uses e-ink technology rather than the iPad's backlit screen, it's much, much easier to use in direct sunlight than the iPad. SeekingAlpha says that iPad owners may well be tempted by such a device, especially if they're already familiar with, and a fan of, Amazon's Kindle iPad app. Source: Amazon, SeekingAlpha.com
Kindle's new television advertisement is filmed on a beach and points out how easy it is to read in sunlight.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gee Al, you bought 2 iPads and a Kindle in the last few weeks... If you are adopting, I'm available!

No,No,No,The first Kindle was bought a year ago, but two iPads since 27 June plus a Kindle,I forgot the Ipod I bought the BH for Mothers day,and I think thats where I F/goofed up,she had never played a game or used a computer before and now its never out of her hands,what with Bowling and Angry Birds. Sorry no adoption,I'm paying for Obama and his family.:mad:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I almost bought a Sony Reader a while ago, but backed off as I wasn't really sure how much I'd use it. I bought the iPad as it fills most of my information needs.

I really see the e-readers, and tablet devices as being for very different things, and for very different users. (Generally speaking). I think there is an adequate market for both, without people needing to worry about competing for sales.

MrYummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Amazon has focused more on selling ebooks. I suspect that profits off of ebook sales dwarf the profits off of Kindle sales. An affordable Kindle means more people in the ebook market and more ebooks sold.

I don't think Amazon's Kindle strategy has anything to do with the iPad. Not everyone looking into the ebook market wants or needs a tablet computer to use as a reader. I think most want a simple, easy to use, and reasonably priced way to read ebooks. This is exactly that the new Kindle is.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think Amazon's Kindle strategy has anything to do with the iPad.
...for now anyway.

There is another post in this section about Apple's removal of "adult" material from the iBook Top Ten list. Some have expressed a concern that Apple (hopefully theoretically) could dictate that app developers refrain from including "adult" material. Obviously whatever I can buy in a Kindle edition from Amazon, I can read on my iPad and as it stands now, there is nothing Apple can do about it. Obviously there is a complex business relationship between Apple and Amazon and if Steve Jobs insists on legislating morality, he could possibly sever that relationship. (Technically I don't know they could stop me from using the Kindle app, but I am sure there is a way)

The one thing the Kindle does prove is that Amazon has the money and the contacts in the technology market and making a broad range consumption device similar to the iPad is probably no giant leap for them. I don't think they could get one out by Christmas this year, but certainly in less than a year from the time Jeff Bezos gives the order.

They are both consumption devices. The biggest difference is that the Kindle is a well-defined, very narrowly focused device marketed by a book seller. It does one thing and no one buys a Kindle asking why they can't surf the net on it. OTOH, the iPad is marketed by a computer company and from what I read here and on other forums (yes, there are other forums!), quite a few people are under the impression that the iPad is some sort of re-packaged laptop or netbook and that is probably because it is an Apple product.

I am sure that Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos have a mutual respect for each other, but don't let anyone fool you. They are, in some ways, very much in competition with each other. They both sell music and books. The only difference is that Apple also sells apps, but only because they sell the hardware and an Amazon tablet device is only one memo from Jeff Bezos away.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a Nook and an Ipad. I just canceled my Nook WSJ subscription and subscribed to it on my Ipad. Now I can watch videos and the navigation is much easier. I still use my Nook for outside reading as the Ipad is worthless in direct sunlight.

Pelica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on getting the new Kindle within the next couple of months. My plan is to use it along with my iPad. I love reading ebooks, but the iPad gets heavy quickly (I have wrist issues) so it'll be nice to have a lightweight option.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Kindle is much better for reading in my opinion. I love reading and while I have completed books on the iPad, it is the kindle I like to read on. I think the $139 wifi only kindle is a great idea, especially if you pair it with a blackberry, iphone or anndroid phone. That way you can browse and purchase books anywhere (using the phone connection) and download them when you have a wifi connection.

I also think a lot of people that currently have a kindle will upgrade and give their old kindles to family. I have 10 devices on my kindle account (7 kindles, an iphone, a blackberry and a computer.) It is a great way to share books.

Most reactions

Latest posts