What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MrLuke said:
Jessica Ennis just won gold in her heptathlon :D. So pleased for her. We might just be in with a shot at gold for the mean long jump too! Turning out to be a good day for the British.

Sent via iPF from my iPad2 iOS 5.1.

Yep, we got the long jump too yahooooooo lol

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Canada wins first gold medal at the London 2012 Olympic Games!

Rosie MacLennan has won a gold in the women's trampoline, Canada's first ever gold medal in the women's trampoline event.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

That was fantastic viewing. Great news for Canada too. :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Mo Farah just won gold in the 10,000 meters!

Brilliant, and with his training buddy, Rupp, second.

What a night! What a NIGHT. Yay.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Brilliant, and with his training buddy, Rupp, second.

What a night! What a NIGHT. Yay.

Rupp's silver medal was the first medal for the US in the 10,000 meters in 48 years!

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I didn't know that. Another first.

Did you see the team swimming final. Another gold. Michael certainly went out on a high :)

His final total is 21 career Olympic medals,isn't it?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
His final total is 21 career Olympic medals,isn't it?

They reported on BBC that it's 22 total of which 18 were gold.....whatever the number, it's an incredible feat!

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
They reported on BBC that it's 22 total of which 18 were gold.....whatever the number, it's an incredible feat!

The Archangel

Yes, Gabe thats it.

BTW, for the medal tables, N. Americans look at the total medal count for table placings. The test of the world use a ranking system with the gold hauls at the top, followed by the silver with bronze, then the bronze.

I've described that crudely, but it's about right. Next week should be a good one for Olympic sport too.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of the instrumental with softly chanting voices used when the cauldron was lit?

Aled Jones played it on R2 at about 8.30. He mumbled the track title. Something Green. Forever green? Who is it by? I cannot find anything on the Decca CD set track list for opening ceremony music.

Charlielab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Does anyone know the name of the instrumental with softly chanting voices used when the cauldron was lit?

Aled Jones played it on R2 at about 8.30. He mumbled the track title. Something Green. Forever green? Who is it by? I cannot find anything on the Decca CD set track list for opening ceremony music.

Caliban's Dream by Underworld.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching the women's marathon, running a circular 8 mile route round Buckingham Palace, past the London Eye, down an underpass, round the twisty streets in the really old part of the city, St Paul's Cathedral, the bells are ringing (think of the nursery rhyme words: "Oranges & Lemons"), the Tower of London and the Monument (This looks like it has a re-gilded top & very smart. It's a memorial to the Great Fire of London in 1666 which started in a bakery in "Pudding Lane", close by. Any Londoner who hasn't climbed the worn spiral stone steps to the top is a fraud...can't remember the exact no. but it's a *** lot, with no lift!)

The whole event seems much more relaxed than the usual elite section of the annual London marathon--lots of banter from the commentators. And one of the women has her hanky tucked into her knickers...that's something I've always wondered about. With those almost-dressed sort of clothes, there's nowhere to keep all your stuff, is there? Eg spare lippy..., pennies for the loo...
:):):)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Watching the women's marathon, running a circular 8 mile route round Buckingham Palace, past the London Eye, down an underpass, round the twisty streets in the really old part of the city, St Paul's Cathedral, the bells are ringing (think of the nursery rhyme words: "Oranges & Lemons"), the Tower of London and the Monument (This looks like it has a re-gilded top & very smart. It's a memorial to the Great Fire of London in 1666 which started in a bakery in "Pudding Lane", close by. Any Londoner who hasn't climbed the worn spiral stone steps to the top is a fraud...can't remember the exact no. but it's a *** lot, with no lift!)

The whole event seems much more relaxed than the usual elite section of the annual London marathon--lots of banter from the commentators. And one of the women has her hanky tucked into her knickers...that's something I've always wondered about. With those almost-dressed sort of clothes, there's nowhere to keep all your stuff, is there? Eg spare lippy..., pennies for the loo...
:):):)

That's a nice summary, Stranding. I'm enjoying watching. The lead car looks as if it has been loaned by Google Maps Streetview :)

I think a few London walks will emerge from the marathon route. The route is great for spotting landmarks.

The pace is pretty good. It took 34 odd mins to cover the first 10K. I wanted to compare this with the 10,000m men's finishing times. I had bought the Sunday Tomes which is usually A1 for stats - until now. No finishing times anywhere for yesterday's events. What a let down :( so I turned to the Sun on Sunday. Full of stats :)

Most reactions

Latest posts