What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad - For Absolute Beginners

Loreta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info, I'm new to this forum and new to my iPad, so I need all the help I can get.... So far I love both. :D

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for helping us annoying newbs! I went to the GilsMethod link and learned more in an hour than I've learned in 5 days on my own! Thanks for the informative link!!

kbaxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much. We live in Australia and are considering buying an iPad for a European holiday so that we don't have to carry a heavier laptop around.

I have no idea about this stuff, so I'd really appreciate some answers on the following questions....

a) My laptop operates from a wireless USB modem linked to a plan. How will my iPad work?

b) When I go overseas, if I buy a 3G, wifi iPad will I be able to connect straight into wifi in hotels, MacDonalds etc?

c) Is there anything gthat I can do on a lap top that I can't do on an iPad?

d) Can I skype using an iPad? How do I get the sotware if so?

Thanks so much.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took the iPad around with me all over the US west coast last December. To answer your questions:

a. Depends on which iPad you get. If you get a 3G iPad, then you should be getting a micro-SIM and data plan with one of the telcos (in the same way you'd get a SIM and a plan for a mobile phone.) If you get a Wifi-only iPad, then you'd need to create a wireless hotspot. If you already have a USB broadband modem, you can get a wireless router, into which you can plug the modem, to create a hotspot so that your iPad (and other Wifi-capable devices) can join. For example, something like this. (This is from Three Australia, for example.)

b. You should be able to access Wifi in most hotels and some cafes and hotspots, either free or for a charge. It helps to research in advance the cities you're visiting and hotels you're staying, so that you know where you can hook up with the Wifi. Some chain stores like Maccas may offer free Wifi, but bearing in mind the service at these outlets can be quite flaky.

c. Plenty, but you need to be more specific about what exactly you want to "do".

d. Yes, you can Skype. However, you will be able to see the incoming video, but the party at the other end can only hear your voice (as the iPad has no support for video camera.)

VampiressRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
vampswillowhouse.willowhouse.com
This is a dumb question, but I can't find the millions of apps that are supposed to be available on iTunes from my computer. When I look on my iPad there is a separate app for the App Store but I don't have that on my computer. How can I get that or is there a special way to surf for apps on my computer through iTunes?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not really a dumb question, especially if this is your first Apple mobile device and your first experience with iTunes.

On your PC, iTunes is everything. It is where you buy content for your device; music, videos, apps, podcasts, etc. iTunes is also where you play/view that content. But on your iPad, you buy your content with the iTunes app or the App Store app, but you play your music and other audio stuff with the iPod app and you view your movies with the Videos app.

On your PC, to buy apps, you go the the iTunes Store (on the left side of the screen) and then Select the App Store. From here you can use the search function or just peruse the various categories.

itunes42.jpg

(Its a little blurry because I reduced the size of the screen shot so it would fit the page)

Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited:

VampiressRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
vampswillowhouse.willowhouse.com
Thanks...I am doing that but it doesn't seem to offer the categories that are offered on the iPad App Store. However yesterday and today I got a drop-down box when I hovered over the App Store and just went an looked at it again and it offers the categories I was looking for. Maybe this was here all along and I just missed it. I think it might be new as I don't see the drop down arrow on your screenshot....but anyway it is working like a dream now.

Last edited:

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question sounds quite idiotic but I will ask anyway. I've looked almost everywhere and cannot find the answer. When you subscribe to several discussions here, say approx. 7-8 at this time, when you see the numbered responses when you check IPF later on, how do you *find* what threads those numbers belong to? Must you search every thread you've subscribed to or is there an easier way? Thank you for your help! 

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I do is click on Active Topics up top and then all the threads that are marked with a green check mark, you posted in.

You can also go by each forum/section as well.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless you are on the app and then when you go to the subscribed threads button, it's all the purple squares and highlighted threads that are new to you. If you've already seen that thread, the squares are grey and so are the thread posts. It's when you reach 30+ subscribed threads, that's when it takes ages to read them all.

peacebaby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison and Hayles66: Thanks very much! You both answered my question very well. 

Most reactions

Latest posts