What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iPad competition quites before it gets started

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was reading tonight about HP putting their 'Slate' on hold for unspecified reasons. I suspect the reason is that it kept coming up short against the iPad. It was also annouced that Microsoft has admitted that they were working on the suspected 'Courier' project, and that they had cancelled it. A pity, since the highlight of the project was a totally unWindows operating system.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read that and thought it was really funny...so many people waiting and hoping for this amazing device (it really isn't) to come out...now it's shelved...lol!

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't wonder......would you want to use a mouse based OS with your fingers.......

I think it's a good moved by HP to back away for a bit and maybe wait for the iPad hyped to slow down. They will be biting themselves in the rear end if they unleashed their so called Slate against the mighty iPad. History speaking with the iPod, who ever counteracted them in the past, the challenger end up getting beat. We have to give respect to HP or Microsoft on this one for being patient and cautious.

tigerbait1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since they just bought Palm, there is speculation that they will look to assimilate them and then use pieces or all of the Web OS to drive their "Slate". Atom and Windows aren't the answer and I think the Ipad has made that more than obvious to them.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You folks are all correct. I would bet that they don't want to go head to head with Apple right now. But - if they were to come out with a tablet that had some kind of palm OS on it - I certainly would take a longer harder look than if it had another version of Windoze.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I doubt even Apple knew how popular the iPad was going to be. The iPad is just too hot right now to try to release a product to try to compete with it.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HP will own Palm by the end of the summer, giving them the Web OS. While Windows 7 on a Tablet will have issues, the Palm Web OS won't. It is a slick interface that rivals the iPhone OS and does work quite well. If HP develops a Tablet with the Web OS on it then the iPad will have some serious competition.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if the developers start working on more webos apps in the next few months to be ahead of the curve....

Apps will be the deciding factor in whether or not the slate truly competes with the ipad

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if the developers start working on more webos apps in the next few months to be ahead of the curve....

Apps will be the deciding factor in whether or not the slate truly competes with the ipad
I doubt that HP will be able to compete. Android tablets will give them quite a ride too. Windows has to be resized and reprogrammed to work effectively on a less powerful machine. This is where all the experience with iPods pays up for Apple.

Most reactions