What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Anything Goes" thread

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Few pictures from my trip to Brussels Belgium I took on my iPhone. This is the Grand Palace

Attachments

• image-2276145146.jpg
    image-2276145146.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-68193867.jpg
    image-68193867.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image-943645200.jpg
    image-943645200.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1320853793.jpg
    image-1320853793.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3582072537.jpg
    image-3582072537.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2185463854.jpg
    image-2185463854.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 124

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flappy bird mentality .

Ok folks , whether you know or not , but lately some ridiculous game called Flappy Bird has made tech headlines lately .

Flappy bird , a basic low resolution , low quality game was released last year and ups and downs later the developer has stated its prompt removal from all stores where it was available .

Speculation surrounds it's developers removal , some , including myself suspect there were copyright issues , among other reasons.

The developer released a press statement confirming the apps removal and sited personal stress in dealing with the popularity and financial income from said game . Mmmmmm???????

Stress from earning over $ 50,000 per week eh ?????

Anyway , that aside , my main point of posting this ordinarily non event is because of the mentality of people trying to sell their handsets with the game for ludicrous amounts ,

image-2055162670.jpg

image-2286844157.jpg

Now , any " normal " user of apple products will know that even if the handset is sold with a game on it , that once a back up is made , the app won't back up to a different account because it was originally downloaded using a different iTunes user ID & also that the app will be deleted in time after it's complete withdrawal from stores . No updates will be available , so it seems to me that this kind of game attracts some people of a very low mentality or very low intelligence to even think that paying the asking prices will get them what they want .

Alternatively , this whole scenario could just be a massive publicity stunt as over the last few days the game itself had rapidly increased its position and scoring in App Store , a very clever trick at duping complete morons or another failing on copyright infringement by the developer .

Either way , people have jumped on the idiot bandwagon and seem fit to try and capitalize on this non-event .

Have you had any experience surrounding this idiocy ????

Some people have serious personal mental issues if they even come close to thinking they'll get what they pay for by buying a handset or device with the game on .

Meh , stupid is stupid does !

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The developer has not 'yet' given up the income. The installed base of app will keep generating ad revenue as long as people keep playing the game. What the developer has done is given up on growing, or just keeping the income's level up.

In a very recent interview the developer said he pulled the game because of how players were reacting; addiction, and not happy addiction; as the rage, negativity, and other absurd over-reactions to the game continued. He is a fairly private person and the attention, almost all negative, was impacting his life and family.

Hold in mind that he is Vietnamese, and cultural values may be more conservative/different than what we are used to.

Yes, I'd probably not give up the income. Both the success and the negativity are probably short term, so I'd be inclined to ride it out. But I'm not this guy. Hold in mind that if I was him and had been getting $50,000 a day for a few weeks, and would continue to get it for a few weeks more, I might indulge my conscience too. After all, I'd have several years worth of decent income in the bank. That's probably even more spending power in Vietnam.

While speculation about copyright and other legal concerns are rampant, it is pure speculation by people looking for reasons that they understand, rather than based on any facts or even substantial reasoning.

At least one blogger has gone to considerable trouble to research the apps background, and whether there were any dubious tactics used to get to the top ratings in the App Store. Nothing was found. It appears to be one of those unexplainable storms of coincidence and peoples fancy; mostly a fancy for complaining and ranting about a difficult game. Just all around weird.

Give the guy a break.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes me wonder what his motivations were , financial return is one , but this comes at a price & if that price is weighing on his conscience then so be it ... It was his and only his decision to develop the app ,

We have a saying here : " you've made your bed , now lie in it!"

I did read that the game was addictive , quite how or why is something I cannot fathom but each to their own , if people are getting upset because they cannot keep their cool then it's the users responsibility to refrain from continuing and not the fault of the developer . This whole saga has undertones that do not add up , since when have developers ever had a conscience , their only motivation is money .

Now I don't mind playing games , hell I've even purchased in app add-ons , that's just my decision , but you don't hear me complaining to Apple because I can't create music that well on garage band , no , I shut up and get on with it . For a dev to withdraw an app if it isn't for the money stirs opinions and speculation .
If his conscience got the better of him so be it ...
It is ...... Unusual !

Recent reports suggest that android devices have a very similar app if not the same which contains malware on over 10million devices !
How could this be I wonder ????!!!!

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful photos!

Love old buildings and all the detailed facades they have!

Thank you, the grand Place is very historic, some more pictures now

Awesome pictures, thanks!

(And thanks for not capturing Jean-Claude ;) )

Lol :) Glad you liked the pictures, Brussels is pretty with such old buildings

Attachments

• image-342420198.jpg
    image-342420198.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3585661178.jpg
    image-3585661178.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2287153203.jpg
    image-2287153203.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-4225302307.jpg
    image-4225302307.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image-619037088.jpg
    image-619037088.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 142
  • image-2918292607.jpg
    image-2918292607.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3371913593.jpg
    image-3371913593.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 125

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
News : Facebook to buy Whatsapp for $19 bn .

Gutted, that's another app that'll be deleted soon then .

Sent from my iPad 3 64gb using iPF

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gorgeous photos! It is so clean and people look happy. I really like the vantage of the buildings. Thanks, Good Karma

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
News : Facebook to buy Whatsapp for $19 bn .

Gutted, that's another app that'll be deleted soon then .

Maybe, but probably not. Instagram is still going strong despite FaceBook buying it.

What you can probably expect is some kind of integration with FaceBook within the next year or so. I'd guess stuff like getting notifications, or being able to text updates to your newsfeed. Even further down the road FaceBooks own messaging service will probably get SMS functionality or integration with WhatsApp. Might be something like Apple's iMessages where one app uses the most efficient method, SMS or FaceBook, depending on your connection and who the recipient is.

Anyway, WhatsApp said they weren't going to be changing. While hardly an unqualified, forever guarantee, it does mean nothing drastic is going to happen in the near future, probably.

Not that I'm a fan of all the good services getting bought out by the big boys.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe, but probably not. Instagram is still going strong despite FaceBook buying it. What you can probably expect is some kind of integration with FaceBook within the next year or so. I'd guess stuff like getting notifications, or being able to text updates to your newsfeed. Even further down the road FaceBooks own messaging service will probably get SMS functionality or integration with WhatsApp. Might be something like Apple's iMessages where one app uses the most efficient method, SMS or FaceBook, depending on your connection and who the recipient is. Anyway, WhatsApp said they weren't going to be changing. While hardly an unqualified, forever guarantee, it does mean nothing drastic is going to happen in the near future, probably. Not that I'm a fan of all the good services getting bought out by the big boys.

What Whatsapp say, and what they do are two completely different things, they will change it, they will continue to invade and sell on people's confidential information,they will profit from that information and abuse their position. Facebook own Instagram, therefore they already would have access to ALL of your photos, what's app has access to all your contacts, geo locations, address's , so basically anyone who uses their services has given up all rights to privacy and allow those to do as they wish from information garnered from users. My point is, do you think you really feel safe with other people profiteering from YOU , , everyone says they have nothing to hide, but what the hell ever happened to people being entitled to a PRIVATE LIFE , no intrusion by social greed, social do-gooders, know it alls , fakebook have circumvented systems so that they still aquite the information through pressure buying, buying up the services that non fakebook users use.

So what we have here, is people who decided NOT to use fakebook , only to find themselves exploited as the likes of Instagram and what's app decided to sell its user base out .

The list of alternatives reduces with every acquisition fakebook makes, and I have to delete and remove my activity when mergers or takeovers happen, I will NEVER be a part of any organisation that PROFITS heavily, and feels free to play god with my personal information, especially those that use that information for their own personal gain with no recourse whatsoever.

I personally despise fakebook, it's done nothing for human society, nothing good apart from mix the worst people in this world together in one pot, the lowest of the low use it, convicted criminals use it, and even idiotic parents let their children use it, so much for parental responsibility eh .

I was privey to a friend of a friend who didn't care what she did on fakebook, leaving derogatory comments, abuseing people , these idiotic neknominations ( ethnic cleansing ) , she had no care for her actions, or what people thought of her , and yet...... In several years time those actions will have consequences, dire ones at that, employers scan fakebook, insurance companies scan it, nearly every governmental system searches fakebook, the consequences will be dire but she didn't care, sums up the mentality of people who fail to realize their current actions will live with them forever.

Idiotic fools who dont act now will pay the price in later life for their stupidity , some couldn't care less, and this I fear is the reality of the situation, people do not understand the long term effect of their short term actions. Then again, some people will never grow up to realize the damage they have caused until they start moaning about how they regret what they've done , tough luck .

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's why I don't use Facebook or any social media thing for that matter. I'm a private guy and I like to keep it that way.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's why I don't use Facebook or any social media thing for that matter. I'm a private guy and I like to keep it that way.

Well done my friend , and with respect to you .

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not the "lowest of the low" or an "idiotic fool". I live in society and am not a hermit. Of course people use information about me,that is nothing new with the internet or Facebook. It is just easier for them to compile the information now. Facebook can be a gift when one gets old. It is a joy to see the photos of family and friends and their children as they grow, to see how places one used to work are continuing. One pays a price one way or another. The issue for each of us is do you get a return that is worth that price to you.

Bobbi

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not the "lowest of the low" or an "idiotic fool". I live in society and am not a hermit. Of course people use information about me,that is nothing new with the internet or Facebook. It is just easier for them to compile the information now. Facebook can be a gift when one gets old. It is a joy to see the photos of family and friends and their children as they grow, to see how places one used to work are continuing. One pays a price one way or another. The issue for each of us is do you get a return that is worth that price to you.

Bobbi

Very well said, Bobbi!

Most reactions

Latest posts