What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Unofficial iPad Amateur Radio Club

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've discovered the matrix.

IMG_2467.jpg

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been playing with a SDR (Software Defined Radio) for a couple weeks now. I bought an SDRPlay RSP Pro, a Wonder-Wand HF tuner/antenna, an MFJ-9232 loop antenna tunner, and lots of other odds and ends.

Turns out that like most other radios, the antenna is the most imporant part, epspecially on HF. I've experimented with a couple, and so far a loop conected to either the Wonder-Wand or MFJ-9232 has worked best. So, I decided I wanted something portable, easy to take on the road and set up anywhere.

I built this. It kind of portable, in that it only takes me about 15 minutes to tear it down or set it up, and I it will find in the back seat of hte car when in pieces.

111596E1-1EB1-4208-98D5-51659A20B3D2.jpeg

B342D9A4-CB32-4131-997B-4846BFE40362.jpeg

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You built a single element quad!

It looks similar because of the way I constructed it, but it's a loop. Ideally the loop would be a circle. I'm loosing a lot of it's performance with the top part being angular, but getting a perfect circle (or even close) is more than I've got the time or supplies for right now.

Loops are substantially smaller than quads. About ⅓ of a wavelength in circumference.

The theory behilnd loops, well, I haven't read up about that yet. I tried one because I've read that they get low noise recpetion at near dipole sensitivity wihout the need for a ground. What you give up is bandwidth. A loop pertty much has to have a tuner attached, or you'd be stuck with a very narrow operating range.

Most reactions

Latest posts