What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for the warm welcolme.

OP
A

africansnowqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one of those years ago and always had trouble.....it was a very cheap router, so I bought my own. Which may not be the same case for you.
Try the tips they have in that link I posted....if still no joy, you may have to get in touch with your Provider about that router.....they may do updates automatically but I don't know about that.

It's working, it's working!
I had never closed any apps in all the 2-3 yrs. I didn't know they were open & didn't know how to completely close until coming here today.
Will, I did a restart but that didn't work, do then I closed all the apps as you all suggested & another restart and I've been up and running for last hours without a single wifi drop! You guys are the Best!

Know I need to figure out if I have the iPad 1 or 2.
Think I got it Dec 2010 and the following March, 3 months later Apple can out with the iPad with camera.
So, if that a clue, pls help me identify which one this is. Also, is there a way to edit photos once you upload to the iPad?
And is there anyway to print from this one.?

Again, thx for getting me back up and running!

I still don't understand how I was able to read, check and reply to my email without wifi dropping, yet I couldn't surf the net.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Woohoo.....that's great that you're up and running now!

You should close your apps regularly, and restart your iPad occasionally and a reset is good when those 2 fail to rectify a problem.....it's just a little housekeeping for your iPad,

It sounds like an iPad 1 especially if you don't have a camera. If you look on the back of the iPad, you will find a Model No.....just google this. Alternatively you can go to Settings - General - About and then look for Model there....which will be different to the one on the back of the iPad, but you can google this one also.

Now as you have an iPad 1 those housekeeping steps are even more important as your iPad has only 256mb of ram.....the newest iPads have 1gb, so that's quite a jump and you will most probably experience some crashes on certain sites and apps which are graphic intensive. It would also be a good idea to clean out your cookies and history in Safari. Settings - Safari - Clear Cookies and Clear History. You will have to sign back into some websites if you do this.

The latest OS for an iPad 1 is 5.1.1.....sorry, I can't remember if there was an editing option within the native Photo app then, hopefully someone else will know but there are many photo editing apps out there. To find out which OS you are on, go to Settings - General - About and look for version. If you're not on 5.1.1 we can take you through the steps if you would like to update.

You should be able to print to any Air Print Printer and others through different means, certain printer manufacturers also have their own apps.....but have a look at this link and at Twerppoet's post in particular and you will find all you need to know concerning this. A big thanks to Twerppoet for this wonderful post!
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/117474-air-print-eprint.html

Enjoy!

OP
A

africansnowqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thx to those who got me started!
Pls t report no more crashes!

So if 5.1.1 is the latest am I not obsolete???

I have 34 gb of space kept in mint condition but cannot print or take photos. Theres not external port for a jump drive. That concerns me about Apple. Three Months later they'll come out with the new and improved version and will not trade up for you. I love Apples but this terrible. I jus know if I were able to purchase a new one, 3 months after purchase, they'd add the wanted/ needed components. Are the any reliable rumors about what's next? In your opinion is it worth buying a new iPad?
I'd like to be able to print --- take & edit photos on the --- and have an slot for an external. Are these additions in the rumor mill?

Woohoo.....that's great that you're up and running now!

You should close your apps regularly, and restart your iPad occasionally and a reset is good when those 2 fail to rectify a problem.....it's just a little housekeeping for your iPad,

It sounds like an iPad 1 especially if you don't have a camera. If you look on the back of the iPad, you will find a Model No.....just google this. Alternatively you can go to Settings - General - About and then look for Model there....which will be different to the one on the back of the iPad, but you can google this one also.

Now as you have an iPad 1 those housekeeping steps are even more important as your iPad has only 256mb of ram.....the newest iPads have 1gb, so that's quite a jump and you will most probably experience some crashes on certain sites and apps which are graphic intensive. It would also be a good idea to clean out your cookies and history in Safari. Settings - Safari - Clear Cookies and Clear History. You will have to sign back into some websites if you do this.

The latest OS for an iPad 1 is 5.1.1.....sorry, I can't remember if there was an editing option within the native Photo app then, hopefully someone else will know but there are many photo editing apps out there. To find out which OS you are on, go to Settings - General - About and look for version. If you're not on 5.1.1 we can take you through the steps if you would like to update.

You should be able to print to any Air Print Printer and others through different means, certain printer manufacturers also have their own apps.....but have a look at this link and at Twerppoet's post in particular and you will find all you need to know concerning this. A big thanks to Twerppoet for this wonderful post!
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/117474-air-print-eprint.html

Enjoy!

FosterEdens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming your router is wireless, another wireless device, e.g., printers, notebooks, iPads, can be too close to a wireless router and for that reason alone loses the wireless connection. Of course, this situation does not answer your problem of a dropped wireless connection when your iPad is farther away, e.g., 25 feet, for your wireless router.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thx to those who got me started!
Pls t report no more crashes!

So if 5.1.1 is the latest am I not obsolete???

I have 34 gb of space kept in mint condition but cannot print or take photos. Theres not external port for a jump drive. That concerns me about Apple. Three Months later they'll come out with the new and improved version and will not trade up for you. I love Apples but this terrible. I jus know if I were able to purchase a new one, 3 months after purchase, they'd add the wanted/ needed components. Are the any reliable rumors about what's next? In your opinion is it worth buying a new iPad?
I'd like to be able to print --- take & edit photos on the --- and have an slot for an external. Are these additions in the rumor mill?

The iPad 1 is very old now in technology terms and will not be receiving any more updates. It is still a very useful ipad though depending on your needs. There are now many apps which cannot run on this iPad because of it's ram limitations.

Did you look at that post on printing I linked to.....there are many ways listed there for the ability to print.

The iPad Air is the newest iPad and yes I do think it's worth upgrading to one of these now, I've just bought one, well my hubby did and it's now under the Xmas tree waiting for me. If you want the ability to take photos you will need to upgrade to a newer iPad. While the added bonus of a USB port is very unlikely (some say never) there are workarounds to connect to external hard drives and I will give you some links on these. We can never be sure just when a new iPad will be released or what features it will have, technology moves ahead very fast nowadays.. The only rumours around right now is that we may see an even larger screened iPad next year, which to me, is for a niche market and not likely to appeal to everyday iPad users because of it's size, but then you never know......some of us don't have the eyesight we used to have! ;)

There is also the new iPad mini with retina screen which was also released recently. The smaller screen size makes this iPad great for portability. I very much doubt we will see another upgrade in iPads for the foreseeable future.

Now here are those links, which I'm sure you will find very interesting.....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/75570-cloudftp.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/75895-what-nas-what-can-do-you.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/109434-apotop-wi-reader-wireless-reader-router.html

EssexLady

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi AfricanSnowQueen,
Welcome !! I am also very new !
Re-setting a router surprisingly clears it of problems quite often.
My idea of re-setting is literally remove lead from back of router,
and also remove the plug from the wall, wait for 1 - 2 minutes, plug in.
Someone also taught me to re-set / refresh router from my laptop......
which also seems to help sometimes.
I personally reckon that PC's, Laptops, iPads etc Have A Mind Of Their Own
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts