What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with iPad Gen 5 (2017 Edition)

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All,

On 19 March, I bought a *new* iPad Generation 5 (2017 edition). It was in the box, wrapped in cellophane.

I took it to my place to set it up. Once that was done, I found I couldn’t use many of the features, e.g. first time I try iMessage (and many other apps that come with the iPad 5) I’m asked to sign in with my Apple ID. When I do, I get a message “Your Apple ID is locked for security reasons. To unlock the ID, you must verify your identity. I go through that process and am left with two options: They send me an email with instructions how to unlock the ID, or answer the security questions.

If I choose ‘send an email,’ it doesn’t come. I get a message saying ‘the message cannot be downloaded from the server,’ and if I choose to answer the security questions, someone else already set those, so I don’t know the answers.

I tried to set up a new email address on the iPad 5, hoping the instructions on how to unlock my Apple ID at that address, and when I entered my family name, I got a message,’SPROINGY, snicker you.’

So, someone has hacked the *new* machine, this is not a virus. I never heard of iOS getting a virus anyway. One thing I can do is keep the machine up to date, which I do- currently iOS 11.3.

I took it back to the iStudio 7 store, their tech guy couldn’t solve the problem. Frankly their attitude was lacking. They got their money, don’t care if the product doesn’t work. They gave me a tech support number for Singapore!! I told them to call the tech support, they said, ‘staff cannot call.’ Then they left me alone.

I went to another iStudio Store. They were much nicer, helpful and accommodating. They couldn’t solve the problem, so they emailed Apple about it. They said ‘come back in 24 hours, we’ll have a reply from Apple by then.’ I did that, but Apple had not replied. Again, they asked me to return the following day, but I couldn’t because I was leaving for another country, with bus and Guesthouse reservations locked in place. They promised to email me the solution, and they did.

Apparently, I have to plug my iPad into a laptop, either PC or Mac, sync iTunes to it, once that’s done, I can choose the ‘Restore iPad’ option from the laptop, which will allow me to set up my iPad 5 from scratch, with no problem. But, maybe if I connect my iPad to the PC/Mac, I’ll get the same ‘Apple ID is locked for security reasons’ message. I can’t login to iTunes now.

I don’t have a laptop, and I’m in a location that doesn’t have Apple Service Centers.

I *think* there’s an Apple Store in another city in this country, but I really don’t want to go there if I can avoid it. It’s a 4 hour road trip, with no guarantees they can help me.

In case you’re wondering, I’ve typed this on my iPad Air, bought in 2014, obsolete now, but still mostly functional.

Thank You for reading! :)

SPROINGY

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I already called Apple Support. That’s not the issue. See my OP.

BTW, when I went to this website today, I got a message ‘Website not secure.’

So...

Most reactions