What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking your iPad out in the wild

SallySparrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you actually take your ipads out in the wild. I have the wireless version, but it has tons of books on it and I can always tether it to my phone. All the same, I've been nervous about taking it out of the house because of a whole bunch of ipad related muggings that happened in my area since it was released.

Adding to this is the fact that I have never seen one used in public it makes me wonder how many people venture out with their's. If you do take it out with you, where do you use it the most?

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took mine to a vintage car race but it was too sunny to read my ebook very well. Mostly just use it while sitting in my lazy boy chair in my living room.

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a vaja case which just snaps on bottom and top. It makes it look like a fancy notepad. No one where I work has even noticed it's an Ipad unless they see me using it. Even then, if I'm reading they assume it's a Kindle. I've only used it outside on campus though, so I can't attest to stranger's attention.

I do live in an urban area, but I am usually careful, for instance I never run with headphones.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take mine to restaurants and any place we/I expect to wait. My wife reads her Nook and I read my iPad while we wait. I have the wifi only, so if I don't want to read a book, I'll just download news to Early Edition before I leave.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
One of the good points in living in a more rural area, is I just don't worry about it. I have gone to the park, a restaurant or two and even waiting for the wife to finish at Wal-mart......

Sometimes people look at you funny, but people have looked at me funny my whole life so it does not bother me :D

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People mainly mind their own business around here and anyone showing more than passing interest in a stranger or his possessions are met with suspicion. Itake the iPad with me anywhere that I expect to have to wait. No one has ever commented.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
My iPad is with my 24/7 where ever I go.

I have it in a folio case so people don't notice that I have an iPad unless its open and im useing it, then I get the "Is that one of those things" questions.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've taken mine on countless motorcycle trips. I've got a nice spot in my rear trunk that is set up with recharging for the iPad and phones. I used to lug around my MacBook but not anymore. The iPad works awesome for all purposes. Excellent tool to log trip detail, events and pictures. I even use the pad to compiling tour stories for posting on several motorcycle forums i frequent

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I'm traveling on business I eat alone a lot. My iPad goes with me to keep me company at that restaurant.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I'm traveling on business I eat alone a lot. My iPad goes with me to keep me company at that restaurant.

I've read about some restaurants starting to use iPads for their menus, placing orders and paying your bill, all in one visit. Not bad when you can pre-order your dinner and have everything ready when you arrive... and not wait to pay the tab.... :p

Balibe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took mine out to dinner the other night as our Bonefish always has a long wait. Kept my 4yr old busy during the wait playing free games like TicTacFree & FourInARow.

It turned into more of a conversation piece with another couple waiting. I sounded like a salesman explaining all the cool things you can do. They were Kindle users & liked the fact they could also use the iPad for that. Too bad I wont get a commission ;)

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recent 6 hour Car Trip kept my one-and-a-half year old daughter occupied with Elmo videos.

Took it to the DMV but I felt too nerdy using it in there. It was just too "LOOK WHAT I GOT!" to use in a crowded group of chairs like that.

But I bring mine with me out a lot. And usually bring it to work with me.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am with many of the others who say that one of the reasons I bought my iPad is to take it "out in the wild". I take mine to work every day to read books while on break (and sometimes while not on break!) and to listen to music during lunch breaks. I work in a HIPAA controlled environment so there is no WiFi available.

My wife and I were waiting for our breakfast at Bob Evans this morning surfing the net with their complimentary WiFi service.

Of course one needs to be aware of their surroundings and judge how safe it is to use yours out in public.

Most reactions