What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much space is a dvd movie likely to take up?

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which Ipad to get and how much storage space I need. Does anyone know how many MB or GB an average dvd is likely to take up? Also can you send the sound from the ipad through a bluetooth car stereo so you could use the ipad as a video player in the car for kids?
Thanks for putting up with some newbie questions.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on how you rip it. If you're buying from the iTunes store, it appears movies and TV shows run about 1GB per hour in SD. Not much point in getting HD, even if the device supports it. At that size, it's almost impossible for the human eye to tell the difference.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which Ipad to get and how much storage space I need. Does anyone know how many MB or GB an average dvd is likely to take up? Also can you send the sound from the ipad through a bluetooth car stereo so you could use the ipad as a video player in the car for kids?

The usual really probably. The same as a video does, ever had an ipod? If you have then it will be sorta like that on the memory.

OP
D

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The usual really probably. The same as a video does, ever had an ipod? If you have then it will be sorta like that on the memory.

I don't have an ipod touch (I've got a 5g ipod). I have a Droid that I've put movies on and they're usually about 1GB for a 2 hour movie, so I don't know what the usual is for an ipod/ipad.

NeilShapiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.joyofipad.com
The usual size of a feature-length movie as an .avi file is from 800 M to around a Gig. That's a normal less-than-dvd resolution. DVD resolution would be about 1.5 to 2 Gigs. Then I have also seen Blu-Ray rips in .avi format around 4 Gigs.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In answer to connecting the iPad to a cars audio system it will be quite possible in several ways. If it will connect to an iPod/iPhone through Bluetooth for sound it should do so for the iPad... check the documentation of your system and/or contact the company that makes it.

If not (or if you only drive around in older model vehicles you will likely be able to use the civililain FM broadcasters that are now in almost every upper end car kit. Better then that. Hand your kinds little FM radios and with that setup you'll never have to listen to the same show over and over again on long trips. :D

Most reactions